TOPIC:

Wal-Mart jump starter for $19 01 Feb 2016 03:01 #708835

• jdvorchak
  • jdvorchak's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
I found this at the local Wal-Mart yesterday and bought one. For $19 I'm happy;

www.walmart.com/ip/The-Everstart-Multi-F...ump-Starter/46528407

Don't know if it's just my local Wally World or Nation wide. The thing is only about twice the size of my iPhone!
Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750Kruzer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wal-Mart jump starter for $19 01 Feb 2016 04:57 #708847

• redhawk4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
I got one for Christmas, I've yet to try it out, but certainly a handy item to have on your motorcycle, I got it particularly for my off road rides on my electric start only Honda XR650L, A couple of times I've left the key on which means the lights are on, while jumping off quickly to rescue someone else who got stuck or fell etc. only to find the battery low when I come back to start mine after the carnage is cleared and the repairs done. If you happen to be in the bottom of a steep hollow at the time, then bump starting takes a lot of pushing and work.

I first saw these last year when out on my boat. I pulled up at the dock and the boat next to me that was being launched had a dead battery. Some guy appeared with the original expensive version of these, it was even smaller and I thought you've got to be kidding, as he hooked to a 5.7 V8, I couldn't believe how that thing turned over, so if these cheaper ones are even a 1/4 as good, they should be plenty for a motorcycle application. I will check today to see if they are $19 in my Walmart, for that much I'd consider getting another one.
1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Last edit: by redhawk4.

Wal-Mart jump starter for $19 01 Feb 2016 15:03 #708937

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I received something similar as a gift and have seen one jump start a Mercedes with no trouble.
I think they are great and will be packing it next season on trips for sure.
They are also good for charging phones or just about anything portable.
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

Wal-Mart jump starter for $19 05 Feb 2016 07:08 #709504

• jdvorchak
  • jdvorchak's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
I just used this thing to start my GS850G with NO battery installed in the bike! Did it 3 times in a row and the charge LEDs still show full charge. I'd say this works...
Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

Wal-Mart jump starter for $19 05 Feb 2016 07:14 #709506

• redhawk4
  • User

jdvorchak wrote: I just used this thing to start my GS850G with NO battery installed in the bike! Did it 3 times in a row and the charge LEDs still show full charge. I'd say this works...

I'd agree it works!!! That just proves it's a great little accessory to have to hand if it can start a bike with a completely dead battery.
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1980 Suzuki SP400

Re:Wal-Mart jump starter for $19 05 Feb 2016 09:12 #709530

• 750Kruzer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
This woulda' helped me last night as I pushed my 750 up a hill 2x after trying to start it w/ a fresh battery off of my tender. My issue is my bike sits outdoors so the oil in the crankcase is the consistency of molasses and if I don't have the choke in the correct position, from the get-go, it won't start for some time. I usually use a combo of ignition switch & kick start alternatively and it usually works. Really wears my leg out though. Had to finally resort to the 3rd- option which is push start down a hill. Took 3- tries but it worked.
1983 KZ750 LTD Twin K1

Last edit: by 750Kruzer.

Re:Wal-Mart jump starter for $19 06 Feb 2016 06:53 #709702

• redhawk4
  • User

750Kruzer wrote: This woulda' helped me last night as I pushed my 750 up a hill 2x after trying to start it w/ a fresh battery off of my tender. My issue is my bike sits outdoors so the oil in the crankcase is the consistency of molasses and if I don't have the choke in the correct position, from the get-go, it won't start for some time. I usually use a combo of ignition switch & kick start alternatively and it usually works. Really wears my leg out though. Had to finally resort to the 3rd- option which is push start down a hill. Took 3- tries but it worked.

If I'm at home, I have a driveway that's downhill and then a steep downhill for 1.2 miles until you have to stop at a stop light. I use that to start my 73 Triumph Tiger when it's cold, not that it won't start 2nd or 3rd kick even when really cold, but it's a lot easier just to roll down the hill a few yards and drop the clutch and have it fire right up. The only time I had a problem was with a Yamaha that apparently couldn't start with a dead battery, so finally after getting half way down the hill I gave up, but then had to walk home and get my truck and bike trailer to retrieve it - needless to say some cuss words were muttered. As it fired up immediately when I charged the battery, with the benefit of hindsight, I should have used a device like this on it, as it had been running earlier I assumed something was wrong, as opposed to it having an ignition that wouldn't fire with a dead battery caused by me leaving the ignition and lights on accidentally after having it running. I agree on pushing a bike uphill though, any hill steep enough for a push start is invariably on the limits of comfort to push a bike up, that's why those little units caught my eye, advancing years make all my bikes seem even heavier where pushing is concerned :(
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1980 Suzuki SP400

Last edit: by redhawk4.

Wal-Mart jump starter for $19 06 Feb 2016 11:10 #709720

• 750Kruzer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I went to my local store and didn't see any on the shelf :( Maybe its in the superCenters? Anyway, my bike only needs a bump in the winter months. Thanks for the info. Still might get one for that and other uses

jdvorchak wrote: I found this at the local Wal-Mart yesterday and bought one. For $19 I'm happy;

www.walmart.com/ip/The-Everstart-Multi-F...ump-Starter/46528407

Don't know if it's just my local Wally World or Nation wide. The thing is only about twice the size of my iPhone!

1983 KZ750 LTD Twin K1

• Page: