Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz1100 coil omhs 28 Jan 2016 15:53 #708409

• cafebrat
  • cafebrat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I was thinking the same thing barry. I just got the coils in today, but im still reassembling the top end and they'll be one of the last steps. Ill update when i do if anyone has any interest in how it turns out
83 Kawasaki Kz1100 LTD
81 Honda cm400
72 Suzuki T500 Titan** 2-stroke B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz1100 coil omhs 29 Jan 2016 04:23 #708443

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 633

cafebrat wrote: I was thinking the same thing barry. I just got the coils in today, but im still reassembling the top end and they'll be one of the last steps. Ill update when i do if anyone has any interest in how it turns out

Would love to see pics...
Whatever you do, avoid trapping heat under the fuel tank with something devised to shield it from the coils. I prefer having unlimited fresh air passage through the area as possible, with the fewest obstructions. Excess heat hasn't been an issue with my setup, since my engine is pretty cool. :)
1982 KZ1100-A2

kz1100 coil omhs 29 Jan 2016 04:47 #708446

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe factory specs the coil with a range. The middle of the range is 2.3 ohms. Dyna makes a 2.2 which is a really close match.
Those numbers are nominal. When you measure them, there are many factors that alter the resistance. Temperature is one of them. Coils will measure higher as they heat up.

Here's a bunch of details on common coils used in KZ's.
gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.co...s/IgnitionCoils.html

Somebody does make a really low-cost, factory replacement, that is supposed to be 2.4 ohms. No name, but they look similar to the Tec coils the factory used.
I think this is the seller. My buddy installed these last summer and so far they have worked great.
The only difference was they use 8mm wires instead of the factory 7mm wires.
Don't believe the compatibility chart. Scroll all the way down for spec info.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: