Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Going Mad Slowly! 22 Nov 2015 09:21 #699939

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Just seeing if anyone out there can give me some ideas on where to look. I have put the loom back in my KZP and I am having a heck of time getting everything to run properly again. Most things work and have power, fuel gauge, starter, turn signals etc but I for some reason I have no power to the lights. I then unplugged the black/yellow wire that comes off the earth feed for the battery and got a weak feed back to the lights/tail light but the turn signals stopped working. I assume it must be shorting somewhere? Any ideas or thoughts appreciated?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Going Mad Slowly! 22 Nov 2015 11:08 #699949

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
I'd get a can of the electrical contact cleaner/preservative called "De-Oxit" www.deoxit.com is their website. And go from the front to the back of the bike cleaning every connector,switch, and light bulb socket.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Going Mad Slowly! 22 Nov 2015 12:06 #699965

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Most things work and have power, fuel gauge, starter, turn signals etc but I for some reason I have no power to the lights.

ok good start. :)

I then unplugged the black/yellow wire that comes off the earth feed for the battery and got a weak feed back to the lights/tail light but the turn signals stopped working.

The black/yellow is a Battery -ve , 'earth' , ground call it what you want. , disconnecting / bad frame earths can cause demonic things to happen...classic example on a car would be brake lights pulsing as the indicators are on - the circuit is finding an earth through the bulb.

I'm not familiar with the z1000P but does it have the later 5 way fusebox? if so, are the head and tail light fuses powered? (use a test light here -also these fuse boxes can be problematic with age) if not look to see if it is being powered from the ignition switch.

Cleaning up all block connectors and frame grounds with deoxit or similar would be well worth doing and may even solve this.

Report back and we can fix this no probs.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Going Mad Slowly! 22 Nov 2015 13:31 #699981

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
I clean my bullet connectors with a chain saw sharpening stone in my cordless drill. I've been having problems with the main fuse contacts. I'd clean them but after a while, it would start again. A few days ago I was riding the the bike would buck then run. The volt meter would flick to 0 then back again. That's enough. I stopped by OR and got a heavy duty fuse holder and a assortment of fuses. I already have M&F crimp on bullet connectors so when I got home I bypassed the main fuse. Everything is working better. The bike even seems to run better. When metal overheats it gains resistance. I replaced the obvious burned wires on this last build but now I'm going to change all the connectors that look suspect too.
Steve

Going Mad Slowly! 22 Nov 2015 15:41 #700002

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
Everything is working better. The bike even seems to run better

That's what I like about doing bike electrics, bright lights everywhere from neutral to tail, on the button starting and sooth running. Unlike engine work that gets spendy £££ fast, usually the cost is moderate with only a few connectors and bits of wire.

Going Mad Slowly! 24 Nov 2015 09:13 #700313

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

Tyrell Corp wrote: Most things work and have power, fuel gauge, starter, turn signals etc but I for some reason I have no power to the lights.

ok good start. :)

I then unplugged the black/yellow wire that comes off the earth feed for the battery and got a weak feed back to the lights/tail light but the turn signals stopped working.

The black/yellow is a Battery -ve , 'earth' , ground call it what you want. , disconnecting / bad frame earths can cause demonic things to happen...classic example on a car would be brake lights pulsing as the indicators are on - the circuit is finding an earth through the bulb.

I'm not familiar with the z1000P but does it have the later 5 way fusebox? if so, are the head and tail light fuses powered? (use a test light here -also these fuse boxes can be problematic with age) if not look to see if it is being powered from the ignition switch.

Cleaning up all block connectors and frame grounds with deoxit or similar would be well worth doing and may even solve this.

Report back and we can fix this no probs.

Thanks for your info. I will get back to it tonight and give the connections a clean up etc and see where we go. It does have the five way fuse box and there is power at the headlight and tail light fuses.

Going Mad Slowly! 24 Nov 2015 09:57 #700326

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
The main fuse carries the full load. See if it gets hot. Mine left burn marks on the cover. I'll use it for something else and have a new blade style one zip tied to the side of the box. I might even buy a "If it blows/it glows" type of fuse. Why not?
Steve

Going Mad Slowly! 24 Nov 2015 14:53 #700354

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
ok No brake light or instrumnt illumination too?

As your head and tail fuses powered up, go to the bulb holders now and see if you have a -ve ground on the black/yellow, or the side of the bulb holder. (the centre contact for a bulb is always +Ve)

If so your fault is between the fuse and the bulb centre(s), there are two +ve and one -ve: dip and mainbeam and tail and brake .

Check the wiring diagram out and look for the colour codes of the wires, both head and tail connect with insulated male/female terminals, rather than the usual block connectors...check that .

The idea is to be like Dr Spock and narrow it down a bit at a time with logic. :side:

Going Mad Slowly! 25 Nov 2015 05:09 #700445

• car5car
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 20
Do you have wiring diagram and multi tester? Multi tester is $5 in Harbor Freight. Diagram is free.
96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

Going Mad Slowly! 25 Nov 2015 14:41 #700533

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
Do you have wiring diagram and multi tester? Multi tester is $5 in Harbor Freight. Diagram is free.

If it is that easy maybe you can talk him through the diagnostics, step by step.

knowing how to interpret that spaghetti of colours on a diagram and numbers on a meter is what is the difficult bit, it took me years to get my simple minded head around it. Abstract thinking, totally different from mechanic skills.

Going Mad Slowly! 02 Jan 2016 11:24 #705302

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
This thread is a good example why I can't be bothered answering electrical problems here anymore. Not my problem.

Courtesy costs nothing, auto electricians and dealer time does.

• Page: