Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Battery dead in the morning. 26 Aug 2015 18:41 #687260

• New 750
  • New 750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
This has only happened one time (this morning) went to start bike, totally dead! Could not even kick start. So had battery charged and she fired right up, how do I go about finding what the draw is? Assuming that's it, all my electric is stock exept for the coil mod, I have a multi meter and basic knowledge, also I confirmed no lights or exesories where left on, really all I added was a cell phone charger and a set of fog lights. Thanks guys.
1977 kawasaki KZ750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battery dead in the morning. 26 Aug 2015 21:23 #687274

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
How old is the battery?
Steve

Battery dead in the morning. 26 Aug 2015 23:04 #687286

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
Are you sure it's the battery draining and not the alternator/generator failing? If your charging system is packing it in, or you are draining more than it can handle the bike will run fine until eventually the battery is drained, or drained enough so that when you stop riding, it can't start again.

The easiest way to see how much drain there is is to set your multi-meter to milli-amps, disconnect one of your battery leads and put your multimeter in series - connect one multimeter lead to the disconnected battery lead, and the other multimeter lead to the disconnected terminal. This way all the current will need to drain through the multimeter.

Might be best to try with your Amps setting instead of milli-amps first in case there is a big leak. Don't switch to accessories when on the milli-amp setting.
1981 KZ750 LTD

Battery dead in the morning. 26 Aug 2015 23:19 #687287

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
I

Irish Yobbo wrote: Are you sure it's the battery draining and not the alternator/generator failing? If your charging system is packing it in, or you are draining more than it can handle the bike will run fine until eventually the battery is drained, or drained enough so that when you stop riding, it can't start again.

The easiest way to see how much drain there is is to set your multi-meter to milli-amps, disconnect one of your battery leads and put your multimeter in series - connect one multimeter lead to the disconnected battery lead, and the other multimeter lead to the disconnected terminal. This way all the current will need to drain through the multimeter.

Might be best to try with your Amps setting instead of milli-amps first in case there is a big leak. Don't switch to accessories when on the milli-amp setting.

Right! Don't set it to miliamps or you'll blow the fuse in the meter. You better have at least a 10 amp meter.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Battery dead in the morning. 27 Aug 2015 03:29 #687290

• New 750
  • User
Battery is about 9 months old, Walmart everstart, I think alternator is fine I'm at 14.95 volts at 4k rpm.
1977 kawasaki KZ750

Battery dead in the morning. 27 Aug 2015 05:20 #687293

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Is it possible that when you parked the bike you turned the ignition key all the way to the right before removing it ? Ignition switch left in "parking " position leaves tail light on.
I've done that draining the battery and came out to a flat battery next morning. . Just thinking of the simple thing
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Battery dead in the morning. 27 Aug 2015 05:36 #687297

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Pull the battery out, charge it, then let sit overnight. Test it and see if it held a charge.
Steve

Battery dead in the morning. 27 Aug 2015 09:04 #687312

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
At 15v, nearly all the time, I wonder if the battery has been overcharged enough now the most of the water has boiled out?
Have you ever checked the electrolyte level? 3 out of 5 owners do not and end up with a bad battery by the end of summer.
I check mine about once a month and sometimes find the level has dropped quite a bit.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

Battery dead in the morning. 27 Aug 2015 09:22 #687315

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I use this trick with distilled water.
Steve

Attachments:

Battery dead in the morning. 27 Aug 2015 14:05 #687361

• New 750
  • User
Battery water is /was full! It held a charge fine, I have it at work today with battery disconnected because I don't wanna be stranded, tonight I will hook my Meter to it. 15 volts seems high but it's within what the service manual says.
1977 kawasaki KZ750

Battery dead in the morning. 27 Aug 2015 15:50 #687375

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
Here is what I use:

The wire wrap at the end stops the tube about 3/8" over the top of the plates so that as I suck electrolyte back out, it sets the water level about dead center of the fill lines on the battery.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
Attachments:

Last edit: by missionkz.

Battery dead in the morning. 28 Aug 2015 18:35 #687545

• New 750
  • User
I found the culprit! I installed a cell charger, it was one cigarette lighter socket and two USB sockets, I can't believe I didn't think of it getting wet, it's meant for inside a car, I had it mounted under my seat so undoubtedly it would get wet, the blue on indicator light was flickering, I had it wired to the rear tail light so it would only come on with ignition, so I have no clue how it was draining battery with it being off? I did short it out with water for sure though. Oh and the P. O installed an after market ignition switch Wich has no position for parking lights I checked, only two, on and off Wich is even more puzzling, at any rate problem is solved, thankfully as winter is right around the corner not alot of riding time left in cold ass Greenbay WI!
1977 kawasaki KZ750

• Page: