Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Regulator Rectifier 23 Oct 2015 22:33 #695693

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 633

FNGCOC wrote: Sorry for not being able to follow through sooner everyone. It took 2 weeks for me to receive my parts!

Then, of course, it took a few days to get to, then recheck, then some little road tests here & there, but anyway, the bike is fixed.
I've gone out on a couple 100-200 mile day trips & it's back to a daily rider again now for 2 weeks.

Nessism, the SH-775 is working just great. I bought the Triumph lead kit & just spliced into the factory harness with bullet connectors.
The only modification needed was slightly longer mounting bolts.

Thanks again everyone. All help is much appreciated

Curious how the SH-775 is working out...
My bike seems very happy with the FH020-AA to this point, but seriously considering the SH-775 for comparison. :)

Current electrical setup on the KZ1100-A2.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regulator Rectifier 24 Oct 2015 03:46 #695701

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Nice bike!! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Regulator Rectifier 24 Oct 2015 04:07 #695703

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678

daveo wrote: Curious how the SH-775 is working out...
My bike seems very happy with the FH020-AA to this point, but seriously considering the SH-775 for comparison. :)

Agree, nice bike Daveo! B)

The SH775 won't perform any "better" than the FH020 other than it will protect your stator from overheat failure. Kawasaki sized their stators pretty well so there isn't a ton of extra power being produced that needs to be shunted away so you got that going for you. I'd caution against purchasing one of these new fangled aftermarket "high powered" stators though unless you have a series R/R like a SH775 or at least a bunch of power eating accessories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Last edit: by Nessism.

Regulator Rectifier 24 Oct 2015 04:26 #695706

• daveo
  • Premium Member
The engine doesn't get :evil: hot now...but may run cooler yet with a SH775 unit, and be happier too? :cheer:
Imagine cooler is better, except when factoring wind-chill at 110 (mph)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Regulator Rectifier 24 Oct 2015 04:41 #695708

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2624
I just took off a new Reg/Rect I put on a week ago. It was cheap and I bought it to see if there was any difference to the stock KZ one. It was charging better but two days ago it stopped working and there was a lot of noise coming from the stater. I opened it up and changed the starter gear, bearing and rotor. It was getting sloppy. Still a lot of noise. I went back to the stock one and it started charging again and the noise went away. The new cheap one failed and may have ruined my new stater. It was sending most of the power to ground. I'll be buying a good one soon and possibly a new stater too. :angry:
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

Regulator Rectifier 24 Oct 2015 10:56 #695766

• daveo
  • Premium Member

Nessism wrote:

The SH775 won't perform any "better" than the FH020 other than it will protect your stator from overheat failure. Kawasaki sized their stators pretty well so there isn't a ton of extra power being produced that needs to be shunted away so you got that going for you. I'd caution against purchasing one of these new fangled aftermarket "high powered" stators though unless you have a series R/R like a SH775 or at least a bunch of power eating accessories.

:) I'll pass along the complement on my next ride, thanks!
Do you think the engine would run cooler with the SH775, since the stator (and subsequently oil) won't get as hot?
1982 KZ1100-A2

Regulator Rectifier 24 Oct 2015 11:37 #695770

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

daveo wrote:

Nessism wrote:

:) I'll pass along the complement on my next ride, thanks!
Do you think the engine would run cooler with the SH775, since the stator (and subsequently oil) won't get as hot?

One of the guys on GSR says the oil will stay cooler but I don't believe it. I even did a test with my GS1000, testing both a SH775 and a FH020 (shunting R/R), riding back to back over 40 miles each way (changed the R/R in the parking lot) and I didn't notice any difference on my oil temp gauge.

Regulator Rectifier 24 Oct 2015 18:48 #695819

• daveo
  • Premium Member
What a relief...this mod was a simple upgrade for my bike, and the encouragement to pursue it is magnanimously appreciated!
You guy's are great, and the gal's...if there are any :lol:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Regulator Rectifier 24 Oct 2015 19:47 #695822

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
There's a few. :whistle:
Steve

Regulator Rectifier 26 Oct 2015 05:01 #695983

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

daveo wrote: Do you think the engine would run cooler with the SH775, since the stator (and subsequently oil) won't get as hot?

Trying to sort out charging system issues on my 750 and thought back on this post because the stator is dry on my bike. No way for the stator to heat the oil in this configuration. My GS1000 has the stator exposed to the engine oil. How is the big KZ engine set up? Dry stator or wet?

Regulator Rectifier 26 Oct 2015 05:25 #695987

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Nessism wrote:

daveo wrote: Do you think the engine would run cooler with the SH775, since the stator (and subsequently oil) won't get as hot?

Trying to sort out charging system issues on my 750 and thought back on this post because the stator is dry on my bike. No way for the stator to heat the oil in this configuration. My GS1000 has the stator exposed to the engine oil. How is the big KZ engine set up? Dry stator or wet?

Would suspect that the few drops of oil making their way into the large KZ's stator area (underneath the alternator cover) likely has negligible effect on oil temperature.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Regulator Rectifier 26 Oct 2015 05:54 #695992

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Nessism wrote:

Wet. I've had no issues with it being that way though. :dry:
Steve