TOPIC:

Troublesome Speedo 08 Jul 2015 14:09 #680061

• SmokyOwl
  • SmokyOwl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
The bike: 1982 KZ1100 A2 Shaft
The rider: Newb

I've noticed that often I'll go out and practice riding and the speedometer has it's own personality. Sometimes it works fine, but often the needle wobbles by about 5mph, and one time if I was going ~10mph it bounces on 0. I believe its a bad wire connection and I want to check both ends of the connected wire for corrosion and clean them up. Anything I should know before tearing into the speedometer and wiring I should know about? The last thing I want to do is break the speedo trying to fix it, and then be out $700 for a new one.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Troublesome Speedo 08 Jul 2015 14:28 #680062

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
If it's a mechanical speedo, then this happens when the cable is poorly lubricated or broken. A broken cable will still spin sometimes/a little bit, so you get this jumping. A poorly lubed, improperly seated or rusted cable will cause a jerky needle because the cable core is spring like. It builds twists and then jumps free.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

Troublesome Speedo 08 Jul 2015 14:38 #680065

• SmokyOwl
  • User

jackleberry wrote: If it's a mechanical speedo, then this happens when the cable is poorly lubricated or broken. A broken cable will still spin sometimes/a little bit, so you get this jumping. A poorly lubed, improperly seated or rusted cable will cause a jerky needle because the cable core is spring like. It builds twists and then jumps free.

I believe it to be electrical, because I remember seeing nothing but wires coming out of the base of the speedo, and the jumping seems to go down from the true speed, not up. Of course I'll take a close look at the wires when I get off work in a few hours to look for any cables to verify, I'd imagine them to be similar in thickness to a brake or clutch cable yes?

Troublesome Speedo 08 Jul 2015 15:00 #680072

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
The diagrams at Partzilla list a speedometer cable for the 82 1100-A2, so it should be mechanical.
The tachometer is probably electronic, since a tach cable isn't listed.

Edit: the meter diagram shows an electronic type of case assy. for the speedo drive. doh.
The Kawasaki service manual probably has troubleshooting info & flow charts for checking the electronic meters.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Troublesome Speedo 08 Jul 2015 17:18 #680084

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Good call Martin, as my findings confirm that there is no cable going to the speedo, only wires.

My theory of the cause is the rubber ant-vibe mounts of the speedo and tach both have grown old and soft and likely allows water to seep in if it rained while the owner was riding it (I have good authority that the bike was garaged daily). So it's likely that the short is in the speedo connection and not below in the motor.

I have two ways of remedying this so that the corrosion is less likely to reappear.

My primary plan is to grind about 1/16" to 1/8" off the end of the mounting bolt for both the speedo and tach, thereby putting more pressure on the old & soft (and non-replaceable) rubber mounts on the rear and the front of the gage holders. The bolts currently bottomed out and cannot be tightened further.

Second plan is to custom make a new rear anti-vibe mount. This would be a real chore to do, and I honestly rather not do it, but it would tighten up the whole assembly without grinding.

However, first thing's first. Gotta take off the speedo and see what's what. TO THE GARAGE!!!

Last edit: by SmokyOwl.

Troublesome Speedo 09 Jul 2015 19:38 #680259

• SmokyOwl
  • User
So....yeah....um....couldn't find anything really wrong with the connections. No corrosion whatsoever, I loosened and tightened the connections, but other than that there really wasn't much to do. All three connections were snug, and right now I'm just waiting to see if it changed anything when I take it out for the next few days. Kinda disappointed right now.

Troublesome Speedo 09 Jul 2015 20:00 #680265

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
I made rubber bushings out on 3/8 fuel line. You need the dampening of the rubber.
Steve

Troublesome Speedo 10 Jul 2015 05:56 #680283

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
I would get the Kawasaki service manual, since it probably has extensive troubleshooting procedures with flow charts & stuff.
Here's one on eebbaayy that covers the 1100 shaft drive models at a very reasonable price.
1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 Kawasaki KZ1100 Shaft Motorcycle Service Repair Manual

There is a KZ1000/1100 chain drive manual floating around the internet --- the info is probably applicable to your bike. Some basic tests are to ensure that the electrical connections are good; check that pulses from the speed sensor reach the speedometer; & make sure the meter mounting bolts are tightened securely.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Troublesome Speedo 10 Jul 2015 06:14 #680288

• SmokyOwl
  • User

martin_csr wrote: I would get the Kawasaki service manual, since it probably has extensive troubleshooting procedures with flow charts & stuff.
Here's one on eebbaayy that covers the 1100 shaft drive models at a very reasonable price.
1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 Kawasaki KZ1100 Shaft Motorcycle Service Repair Manual

There is a KZ1000/1100 chain drive manual floating around the internet --- the info is probably applicable to your bike. Some basic tests are to ensure that the electrical connections are good; check that pulses from the speed sensor reach the speedometer; & make sure the meter mounting bolts are tightened securely.

I already have one of those Martin, thanks. Mine's shaft-driven.

Troublesome Speedo 10 Jul 2015 06:39 #680291

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
I have read about guys making new shock absorbing washers out of an old mouse pad.

You could be experiencing the dreaded Intermittent Short. Those wires get flexed a bunch , and one of them may have given up. A careful cleaning of the connections with some Deoxit, and some quality t I've with your favorite VAO meter will confirm.

MFolks just reported a tutorial on the procedur in another thread. Even though it is not specifically about a speedometer, it should prove helpful.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Troublesome Speedo 12 Jul 2015 17:23 #680589

• SmokyOwl
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: I have read about guys making new shock absorbing washers out of an old mouse pad.

You could be experiencing the dreaded Intermittent Short. Those wires get flexed a bunch , and one of them may have given up. A careful cleaning of the connections with some Deoxit, and some quality t I've with your favorite VAO meter will confirm.

MFolks just reported a tutorial on the procedur in another thread. Even though it is not specifically about a speedometer, it should prove helpful.

Yeah looks like my speedo is definitely on the fritz. My riding buddy and I was riding down a stretch of highway (first time for me) and the speedo was bouncin' around 30-35mph, My buddy said we were doing 50. So that's troublesome as I felt it was still being fairly accurate within 5-10mph, but I knew well enough that it wasn't right going down the highway. I don't want to be the hated biker holding up traffic. I gotta get this fixed pronto. I'll take another look for that thread TexasKZ, thanks.

Troublesome Speedo 12 Jul 2015 21:08 #680632

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23
You might consider replacing it with an aftermarket unit? Most come with a pickup you mount to the wheel, bypassing your stock wiring problems.... However if your intentions are to keep the bike 100% stock, that's not an option...?
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

• Page: