Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 29 Jul 2015 08:26 #683298

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Glad to help.

I don't think the resistor issue would cause it to not start, so you should get that sorted, but I don't think it's the issue right now.
The possible timing being slightly off and needing elongated holes is not uncommon, but again, it should not prevent a startup. That can be corrected after the bike is running so you can use a proper timing light at speed.

The rotor can be 180 out, and that would be the next thing to check.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 29 Jul 2015 11:42 #683319

• skooterbum4real
  • skooterbum4real's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
OK great. I will go ahead and elongate the holes in the timing plate since I already have it off the bike. I went through my receipts and found that I have NGK 2411 spark plugs in the bike, which appear to be the same as, or are the B8ES plugs. I do not believe they are the resistor plugs, so should be good there.

Will put it back together making sure the rotor is installed properly, and hopefully get to hear it run !! Will most likely be over the weekend, so will post back my results when I can.

Thanks guys !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 29 Jul 2015 12:41 #683330

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
I am using a late model 650 electronic ignition on my '78 650, and did not slot the holes on the mounting plate.
As Lou says, she should start and run with the plate bolted as is.

If the rotor is 180 degrees off on the advancer, swapping the green and black wires around on the coils will confirm this.
Is she starts now with green and black wire swapped, either you had the wires going to the wrong coils, or the advancer cam is off.

Thing is, either way, you should be getting spark, wired right or backwards.
No spark, something else is wrong.

Do you have 12 volts to the coils?

Resister spark plugs will have an R in the number, ex: BR7ES.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 29 Jul 2015 13:10 #683331

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I thought he did say he was getting spark, albeit weak spark.
If the magnets on the timing plate are installed wrong, that can cause a pretty big timing error and overall weak spark.

This link will show how they should be, along with other notes on the magnet assembly and rotor.
Make sure the rubber stops on the advance arms are not missing. That can throw off timing a bit.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio.../PickupAndRotor.html

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 29 Jul 2015 13:35 #683335

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
That was a good article to read!!
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 29 Jul 2015 21:20 #683393

• skooterbum4real
  • skooterbum4real's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
SWEET !! The girl has sat for over 15 years, and today, after I installed the rotor properly, (yes I had it 180deg off), she fired right up. It ran a little rough for a bit, but after fixing an exhaust leak at the head, tweaking the carbs a bit, adjusting the cam chain, and checking the timing, she smoothed out and runs pretty good.

I couldn't wait for the weekend !! After realizing the possibility of getting the rotor 180deg off, I knew that's probably what my problem was.

I did elongate the mounting holes in my timing plate today, because it was already off the bike. But after putting it back together and installing the rotor properly, I don't think it was necessary to do that.

It starts right off, which is sweet !! I have a stock air filter plus a 4 x 2 exhaust system. I think I will have to bump up to a larger main jet to compensate for the exhaust, because when I blip the throttle pretty good from idle, it will simply stall out. If I crack the choke a bit and blip the throttle, it revs right up.

Should I make any other adjustments to the carbs, like raising the jet needle, while I'm re-jetting them ??

I can't wait until I get my chain and sprockets installed, so I can take her for a spin !! I've had this bike for over a year now, so it's been a long project.

Thanks for everyone's help !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

• Page: