Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 08 Jul 2015 01:33 #679989

• skooterbum4real
  • skooterbum4real's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I got my electronic ignition setup from a 1982 kz650 csr. I pulled the advancer unit and the complete module assembly / pickup coils from the donor bike, and it was a simple swap / plug and play, to get this part of the E-I bolted in place, on my 78 kz650B.

Then I bolted the I-C igniter to the battery box, and plugged the pickup coils plug to the proper I-C igniter plug. This leaves me with the other I-C igniter plug that goes to the coils and then a power and ground connection.

I'm going to ground the igniter to the battery negative. Is there a preference for the power supply to the igniter and coils ?? Also, I've got a green wire, black wire, and a power wire from the igniter, that goes to the coils. The coils are not labeled at the terminals. How do I know which wire goes where on the coil terminals ?? Or does it matter ??

Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust / time, the module assembly / pickup coil assembly. Is this just a bolt in and run it assembly ?? Or am I missing something here ??

Attachment ElectronicIgnition.jpg not found

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by skooterbum4real. Reason: typing errors

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 08 Jul 2015 06:00 #679999

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
What ignition coils are you using?
The 81 650-CSR coils have (+) & (- ) embossed on them at the primary end (same ignition system as the 82).
red = (+) & black/green = (- ) .... I don't think the polarity matters, though.

red-black = 1-4 right side coil & red-green = 2-3 left side coil.
FYI: there is a 81 650 pdf if you need the info for the electronic ignition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skooterbum4real

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 08 Jul 2015 09:23 #680025

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Hey martin-csr, I'm using the ignition coils that were on the 82 kz650 CSR when I got it.

OK, after looking at the coils under a magnifier, I found the + and - symbols, which are partially covered by the mounting bracket.
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 08 Jul 2015 09:50 #680032

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The timing is set at the factory, but swapping it from a different model can have the timing off slightly. You can just slot the timing plate, but keep the filings off the magnets. If you get filings on it, you can just use masking tape to pull them off.

If you take apart the magnets etc. they must go back exactly the way they came off, and don't mix up the steel screws with the brass screws. They matter, magnetically.

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 08 Jul 2015 10:00 #680033

• skooterbum4real
  • User
OK, Thanks loudhvx.

I'll try to fire it up the way it is, and see what happens. I have maybe 3/32 of rotation in the mounting plate. I hope that's enough, if needed.

Anyone have suggestions about the power source to feed the ignition ?? I think I've read that it's good to use the power feed from the kill switch. Is this a good idea ??
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 08 Jul 2015 10:52 #680036

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Yes, that is the standard method of powering the ignition... as the factory did it.

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 08 Jul 2015 11:31 #680044

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Fantastic !!

I've stated three different times, that I was going to be ready to fire this bike up, after this next repair. All three times, I found that one more repair was needed to be able to fire it up.......

The bike has sat for over 15 years before I got it. I've been messing with it for one year now. I'm ready to hear it run.....

Hopefully after this "last" repair.......Fingers crossed !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Last edit: by skooterbum4real. Reason: more info

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 23 Jul 2015 21:46 #682465

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Well I got everything wired up nice and neat, and got the wiring all tucked away, so it looks like a pretty clean job. For me anyways...LOL

I installed the gas tank, put in a couple gallons, and tried to fire the old girl up. I get a soft poof, out of the exhaust, and it doesn't do it very often. There's no real signs of it trying to start up. I checked for spark, and I'm getting a very small yellow or blue spark at all four plugs. This was checked with one of these....

www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0122-Igniti...gnition+spark+tester

I'm not very impressed with this tool as I'm only able to close the gap of the tool to about .100 of an inch. Which is a ridiculous gap to test for a spark.

I got all my electronic ignition parts from a good running 1982 kz650 CSR donor bike.

I'm questioning these things to start with..... I ran the yellow/red wire to the + side of the coils. I ran the black and green wires to the - side of the coils. Is this the correct routing of these wires ?? Also I'm wondering if I need to use different spark plugs now that I'm running the electronic ignition ?? Maybe there's no difference, but should I start running the plugs required for the 82 kz650 donor bike, rather than what's required for my 78 kz650 ??

I also rebuilt the carbs. I found out after the fact, that I purchased less than desirable carb kits for the job. I'm going to make sure I'm getting gas to each carb, and check to see if the spark plugs are wet or dry.

I guess I better check the timing while I'm at it. Is there anything else I need to do to troubleshoot this ??
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 28 Jul 2015 07:31 #683109

• skooterbum4real
  • User

skooterbum4real wrote: Well I got everything wired up nice and neat, and got the wiring all tucked away, so it looks like a pretty clean job. For me anyways...LOL

I installed the gas tank, put in a couple gallons, and tried to fire the old girl up. I get a soft poof, out of the exhaust, and it doesn't do it very often. There's no real signs of it trying to start up. I checked for spark, and I'm getting a very small yellow or blue spark at all four plugs. This was checked with one of these....

I'm not very impressed with this tool as I'm only able to close the gap of the tool to about .100 of an inch. Which is a ridiculous gap to test for a spark.

I got all my electronic ignition parts from a good running 1982 kz650 CSR donor bike.

I'm questioning these things to start with..... I ran the yellow/red wire to the + side of the coils. I ran the black and green wires to the - side of the coils. Is this the correct routing of these wires ?? Also I'm wondering if I need to use different spark plugs now that I'm running the electronic ignition ?? Maybe there's no difference, but should I start running the plugs required for the 82 kz650 donor bike, rather than what's required for my 78 kz650 ??

I also rebuilt the carbs. I found out after the fact, that I purchased less than desirable carb kits for the job. I'm going to make sure I'm getting gas to each carb, and check to see if the spark plugs are wet or dry.

I guess I better check the timing while I'm at it. Is there anything else I need to do to troubleshoot this ??

Anyone have any suggestions or other ideas on this ??
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 28 Jul 2015 14:20 #683163

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

skooterbum4real wrote: ... I installed the gas tank, put in a couple gallons, and tried to fire the old girl up. I get a soft poof, out of the exhaust, and it doesn't do it very often. There's no real signs of it trying to start up. I checked for spark, and I'm getting a very small yellow or blue spark at all four plugs. This was checked with one of these....

Wiring should be yellow/red to positive as you have it. But there are a few other things to check to make sure the spark is in phase with the motor.
Right coil fires cylinders 1 and 4.
Left coil fires cylinders 2 and 3.
Black coil wire goes to right coil's negative.
Green coil wire goes to left coil's negative.
When cylinder 1 and 4 are at top dead center, the rotor should point to the left, (or toward the rear of the bike), not to the right (or front of the bike).

If the advancer timing plate was taken apart, the magnets can be put together in the wrong orientation. There is a way to tell if it is correct, if you think this may have been a possibility.

A good spark, in open air, should jump at least 1/2 inch. But make sure both plug wires of the same coil have a path to the engine. If you leave on unconnected, it stresses the coils and igniter and can cause damage.

You should be using the coils from the donor bike. The old points coils are not a good match for electronic ignition. I believe the resistors are in the caps on the electronic ignition coils. You should run non-resistor plugs if you have resistor caps.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 28 Jul 2015 19:30 #683216

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Thanks for the info loudhvx !! I have the coils wired as you've outlined, and they are the coils off of the donor bike that I got all the other E-I parts from. I checked the coils with my multi meter, and they both checked out OK with that method. It was a running bike when I parted it out, so everything should still be in good operating condition.

I have the plug wires routed as you've outlined as well, but you brought up a good point about resistor caps and plugs. I have resistor wires on the bike, and I acquired a set of NGK caps that I don't know if they are resistor caps or non resistor, and the plugs are most likely what's called out for, for the points system engine. I will have to check what I have in it when I get back out to the bike. If I have more than one type of resistor component between the plug wires, caps, and plugs, what will that do to the bike ?? I'm guessing that could be a part of my problem ?? I'll have to get the numbers off of the NGK caps and see what they are as well.

I've removed the timing plate, and was getting ready to elongate the mounting bolt holes to give me more rotation of the timing plate. Do you think this is needed ?? I looked at the donor engine today, and it looks like it's timing plate mounting bolt holes are in the exact same location as my project bike. So I'm really questioning this ?? I've not taken the timing plate apart, so no worries about it being put together improperly. I will check the location of the rotor when I get it put back together. That can be installed 180deg off can't it....... The donor bike was an 82 kz650 CSR.

I have my bike in a storage unit 25 miles away, so I'm not readily able to check things out on it. This annoys me !! LOL

Thanks for taking the time to help me out !! It is greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to ride yet this year, and am getting a major case of the blues !! I have three bikes, and all three of them need work. I want to get this kz650 going as it's going to be my main daily rider. Then I will be able to concentrate on the others.

Lots of good information loudhvx !! Thanks !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition on my 78 kz650B 29 Jul 2015 06:49 #683276

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The 650-CSR uses B7ES spark plugs --- same as the 650B.
My coils were getting hot to the touch & there was a high speed miss,
so I installed the green Dyna 3.0 ohm coils & Dyna copper core spark plug wire set from Z1Enterprises.com.

• Page: