Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

battery cells losing water? 05 Jul 2015 21:10 #679580

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
I forget until I come to a intersection, look down and SHT, turn it on. Even then some people just won't see you. Call me a pussy but I have duel horns and use them a lot. The wreck learned me well.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

having same issue 06 Jul 2015 10:30 #679665

• wakeboardr42393
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been having the same issue. Every oil change, the battery liquid is at least halfway evaporated. It's a newer yuasa battery. I've checked the battery voltage at all RPMs and it does not exceed 14.9 volts. My next step is to replace the regulator, which is pricey. And i'm not even sure if that's what's causing it.

IIRC, my kawasaki service manual says if the voltage is "much more" than 14.5 volts, to replace the regulator. It was pretty vague. To further complicate this, there are several model numbers (the model number written on the red sticker) of regulators out there. And kawasaki supposedly made three phase AND single phase generating systems in their bikes, so I imagine you have to get a regulator that matches the 'phase' of your bike.
1981 Kawasaki KZ 550 LTD :)
1987 BMW 325is

Last edit: by wakeboardr42393.

having same issue 06 Jul 2015 12:53 #679684

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

wakeboardr42393 wrote: I've been having the same issue. Every oil change, the battery liquid is at least halfway evaporated. It's a newer yuasa battery. I've checked the battery voltage at all RPMs and it does not exceed 14.9 volts. My next step is to replace the regulator, which is pricey. And i'm not even sure if that's what's causing it.

IIRC, my kawasaki service manual says if the voltage is "much more" than 14.5 volts, to replace the regulator. It was pretty vague. To further complicate this, there are several model numbers (the model number written on the red sticker) of regulators out there. And kawasaki supposedly made three phase AND single phase generating systems in their bikes, so I imagine you have to get a regulator that matches the 'phase' of your bike.

Maybe you're too young to realize it, but the fact that you must occasionally add water to a lead/acid battery does not mean there is anything at all wrong with the bike's charging system. I don't know how many miles or how many months you go between oil changes, but unless you're changing the oil every month I would HIGHLY recommend you check and top off the battery at least monthly. No lead/acid motorcycle battery can be expected not to need some water to be added occasionally.

When cars used the same type batteries with the removable caps it was normal practice to check and top them off with water. I must have done it a million times when I worked in a gas station. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

having same issue 06 Jul 2015 12:56 #679686

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Yup. I had two small regulators on my bike because the old one overcharged my battery and burned out lights.

Attachment bossieandthegirls-5.jpg not found

They're cheap so you might try one to shunt away a little more power.You can see one just above the valve cover.
Steve
Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.
  • Page: