Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

All indicators flash as if they were hazard lights 28 Jun 2015 08:05 #678591

• TheForumTroll
  • TheForumTroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
This isn't really a KZ question (my girlfriends Suzuki GS450S) but thought someone might have an idea anyways.

She installed four LED turn signals and an LED flasher relay. Problem is that all indicators flash at the same time, no matter if she uses right or left turn signalling. I have checked the wiring with the service manuals diagram and it looks correct. Sadly she doesn't have a multimeter and mine isn't here. What am I missing? Are there any other options than it is a short somewhere in the wiring hose? I have tested the relay and it works fine.
-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All indicators flash as if they were hazard lights 07 Jul 2015 17:39 #679950

• weales
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Question 1 - Does the GS 450 have a "hazard" relay circuit as part of the wiring harness? (Maybe the LED flasher relay that has been fitted has been fitted to the hazard circuit and it's operating "normally?")

Question 2 - Were the turn signal signals operating correctly before the installation of the LED turn signals? (Maybe restore the original items and check if all is well then replace one side at a time with the LED items to see what gives)

Question 3 - Check the LED turn signal wiring to see if the +ve and earth returns are correctly connected to each unit. (Could be an earthing problem)

Question 4 - Check the switch - it may have an internal connection problem and may be connecting power to both LH and RH turn signals - need your multimeter (can get them for $5 on fleabay these days!)
Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

All indicators flash as if they were hazard lights 07 Jul 2015 22:17 #679974

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
Normally for a 2-pin flasher relay, the power will go from +12V to the bulb, then to the indicator switch, then to the flasher relay. The switch is used to ground the bulb through the flasher relay, this way you can use a single flasher relay for two bulbs separately. The only way this could cause the problem is if the switch itself was switching on both at once. I can't see it being a problem with the flasher relay.

If it's a 3-pin flasher relay I'm a bit fuzzy on how they're wired in, but it's possible that they're in the wrong plugs?
1981 KZ750 LTD

• Page: