Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help ID some un-used/unknown wires? 81GPZ550 27 Jun 2015 15:16 #678517

• PanShovelMike
  • PanShovelMike's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello folks. I'm going through this project bike I've got (81 GPZ550), trying to get it ready to fire up for my first time. I'm currently going through and checking the wiring for bad connections, broken wires, etc. Just giving it a good once-over to make sure everything is right. So far so good with the exception of a few unknown disconnected or un-used wiring connections down in the triangle on the right side of the bike. I have 2 separate double-bullet female plugs with no wires going to them, I also have an un-used ring terminal that I think is a ground. Also a questionable connection at the little fusebox where one wire is spliced into another. I cannot find any loose wires anywhere else on the bike that might go to these, so I'm at a loss right now. Any help greatly appreciated. I've got the wiring diagram from the 1981 supplement in the back of the factory service manual but I'm having trouble understanding it or matching up the wires to the ones in question. I'm new at this forum stuff so I'm not 100% sure how to add an image here so I'm going to post a link to a photo I uploaded of the wires in question.

s1.postimg.org/aue0jp0lb/GPZ_WIRES.jpg

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help ID some un-used/unknown wires? 81GPZ550 27 Jun 2015 16:05 #678527

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The red wire (with the blue tape) is the power wire to the accessory fuse box. It is not unusual for the red wire to have a splice to feed the two accessory circuits. The KZ550-D1 wiring diagram shows a splice.

The black/white wire w the double female bullet is an accessory terminal. The yellow/black double female coming off the wire harness is probably an acc ground. There's probably another yellow/black acc ground at the headlight bucket. There's also a blue/white acc wire that usually terminates at the headlight bucket.

I don't know where the ring terminal should be connected, but possibly to the frame or something. ???
There should be a yellow/black ground connected at the neg (-) battery terminal, but I don't know if that ring term should be connected at the battery or not; I don't think so; if it won't reach, then probably not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randombeat, PanShovelMike

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Help ID some un-used/unknown wires? 81GPZ550 27 Jun 2015 18:45 #678547

• PanShovelMike
  • PanShovelMike's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Martin,
Thanks very much for the input. Yeah I believe that ring terminal goes to the 10mm bolt I pointed to in the pic, since that seems to be the only reasonable spot it will reach to. There is a separate ring terminal that goes to the neg on the battery, not shown in that pic. Glad you cleared up about the power wire to the fusebox being spliced. I figured out that the red wire was "power IN" to the fusebox and figured the splice might be normal, but just wanted to be sure. As far as the accessory power and accessory ground females... what are those for? Were they left open from the factory, in case you wanted to add an accessory such as additional lighting or whatever? In which case, it's no problem to just tuck them away as they are? Again thanks very much for the input, you've helped me a whole lot. Hoping to try to get her fired up tonight or tomorrow, currently in the process of reinstalling my freshly rebuilt/cleaned carbs, then I'll be just about ready to try her out. Only other thing I need to do first is an oil change! I'm excited, can't wait. Thanks again, have a great weekend!

Help ID some un-used/unknown wires? 81GPZ550 28 Jun 2015 11:25 #678606

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Any extra electrical stuff you might add would need to be grounded, hence the acc ground wires.
They are unused from the factory & should have clear protective covers on them as shown in the photos.
You can check to make sure the covers are pulled over the terminals all the way. A po may have slid one of them back a little.
Also, orient the unused terminals downwards.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: