Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

IC Igniter 82 750ltd 27 May 2015 14:21 #674045

• dom2570
  • dom2570's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
Today, on my way to work I ran into some issues. The bike was popping and spitting with power surges kind of like when you run out of gas.

I made it to work and checked the pipes. 1 and 4 were really hot as they should be. 2 and 3 were not. The PO bastardized the IC igniter. I will post pictures when I get home.

I think there is just bad connection where he messed with the wires, and road bumps are causing it to short out.

If 1 and 4 are firing, the green wire should be the one I need to check, or could it be a connection with the pick up coils that needs to be looked into as well?
Whip it like a mule!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 27 May 2015 14:22 #674046

• dom2570
  • User
For reference
Whip it like a mule!
Attachments:

Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 27 May 2015 15:44 #674072

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Kawasaki Ignition Primary Wiring

The pickup with the black/blue wires trigger the spark for cylinders 1 and 4.
The pickup with the yellow/red wires trigger the spark for cylinders 2 and 3.

The pickup wires all go to the igniter box.

The 1 and 4 spark plugs are fired by the ignition coil with the black primary wire. (This coil would have been on the right side of the bike frame.)
The 2 and 3 spark plugs are fired by the ignition coil with the green primary wire. (This coil would have been on the left side of the bike frame.)

In order for all of that to work as it did from the factory, the pickup assembly and advancer/rotor assembly should be assembled as it came from the factory. (It often gets messed up after disassembly for cleaning.)

Here's a link to the getting the pickup magnets correct and the rotor orientation correct:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio.../PickupAndRotor.html
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 27 May 2015 16:13 #674074

• dom2570
  • User
Thanks, I replaced replaced the pick up coils a few weeks ago and already went through the headache of testing everything.

I know the ignition coils and pick up coils are good. When I post a picture of the ignitor you will understand why I suspect it is a short somewhere.
Whip it like a mule!

Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 29 May 2015 10:51 #674364

• dom2570
  • User
I am still trying to figure out why someone thought this was a good idea.

Luckily, I have a spare that works. I just need wire up some new connections for it.
Whip it like a mule!
Attachments:

Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 29 May 2015 11:33 #674376

• Grnole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
did you go with stock coils? I would strongly recommend upgrading to the dyna s or dyna 2000.

I had issues with a bad coil, and an old IC igniter, that were giving me signs of an intermittent fault. I decided to replace the whole system and moved to the dyna 2000. Haven't thought twice about that old stuff...

Just my .02

Will say... they arent cheap parts. But you can find them new on fleabay cheaper than the online parts dealers.
1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)

Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 29 May 2015 12:33 #674393

• dom2570
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI have plans to eventually get there, but funds are tight, and that mod might be a little over my head at the moment. I have do a few minor searches regarding the upgrade. Would something like this kit work? Does it make the ic igniter obsolete?

Just read up one a few old threads and answered my own questions. I might have to bite the bullet and order this soon. Just want some confirmation that this kit is the right one for an 82 kz750-h3 ltd
Whip it like a mule!

Last edit: by dom2570.

Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 29 May 2015 13:29 #674401

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
The Kawasaki electronic ignition is actually pretty good . Some say better than Dyna. If you are sure of the coils and pickup coils then time to look at the ignitor and all the wiring in between. The picture you posted shows a pretty poor wiring job on that ignitor

if you have a manual then there is a test described for the ignitor. If the ignitor test fails then why not make one? Loudhvx has a writeup in one of the links in his signature on how to build one. Just search for any post from loudhvx and check his signature line.
Good luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Re:Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 29 May 2015 14:42 #674416

• dom2570
  • User

JR wrote: The Kawasaki electronic ignition is actually pretty good . Some say better than Dyna. If you are sure of the coils and pickup coils then time to look at the ignitor and all the wiring in between. The picture you posted shows a pretty poor wiring job on that ignitor

if you have a manual then there is a test described for the ignitor. If the ignitor test fails then why not make one? Loudhvx has a writeup in one of the links in his signature on how to build one. Just search for any post from loudhvx and check his signature line.
Good luck

I had a spare igniter, that just needed some new connections. It was about a 5 minute fix.

Any ideas on how to fix the crappy wiring, the PO did?
Whip it like a mule!

Re:Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 29 May 2015 14:51 #674418

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23

dom2570 wrote:

JR wrote: The Kawasaki electronic ignition is actually pretty good . Some say better than Dyna. If you are sure of the coils and pickup coils then time to look at the ignitor and all the wiring in between. The picture you posted shows a pretty poor wiring job on that ignitor

Good luck

I had a spare igniter, that just needed some new connections. It was about a 5 minute fix.

Any ideas on how to fix the crappy wiring, the PO did?

Trace and replace brother...
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Re:Re:IC Igniter 82 750ltd 29 May 2015 16:04 #674433

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
You can make a brand new IC igniter pretty cheaply.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html

If the stock pickups are good, the system will be more efficient than a Dyna S.

• Page: