Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

78 k1000 ltd 25 May 2015 10:45 #673636

• jwhite317
  • jwhite317's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok just got a ltd 1000 thats been in a garage for 10+ years. So i cleaned carbs, new battery, plugs, normal tune up. Heres the problem when i got her most of the lights worked besides the guages and rear running light. Ran fine for about twenty miles then i lost the odometer all together ( pins stays between 0-5mph, oil lights works but no neutral. With all that i go out this morning and wont start just a click from near the battery.
Any ideas where to start trouble-shooting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 k1000 ltd 25 May 2015 10:51 #673637

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
Check to make sure there is no rust or corrosion or rust on the negative battery wire, where it connects to the frame or motor
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

78 k1000 ltd 25 May 2015 11:05 #673641

• jwhite317
  • jwhite317's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ground to frame looks good, also checked the fuses on the left side and the rear one is bad so i replaced it but it they keep burning up. Has to be grounding out some where right?

78 k1000 ltd 25 May 2015 11:36 #673646

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
A short.
Steve

78 k1000 ltd 25 May 2015 12:55 #673663

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
The Dreaded Shorting/Intermittent Electrical Problem!

Here is the most basic method I know(Taken from www.kzrider.com by member Patton)

1. Charge your battery and have it load tested if you can. The floating ball hydrometer can be used to check the specific gravity of the charged cells in the battery.

2. Disconnect the Black lead from the (-) Battery terminal... or Red from the (+) Battery terminal, it does not matter which one.

3. Connect one of the following test setups in series with the Battery terminal and lead:
3.1 A 12 V light bulb,
3.2 A 12 V test light,
3.3 A 12 V test buzzer or,
3.4 A 12 V horn... you get the idea.

4. With the Ignition Switch OFF, go through your harness and wiggle the wires while looking/listening for the test setup to go on/start buzzing.

5.With the Ignition Switch ON, repeat the test except this time the looking/listening for the test setup to go on/stop buzzing.

6. Be prepared to open the Ignition switch and check/test for solder joint failure and or circuit board micro breaks (don't ask how I know this ).

7. Be prepared to pull the wires out of the Head Light to test for failures at or near the grommet.

8. Be prepared to open the harness at or near the Steering Neck for failures. This is where wires tend to exhibit fatigue due to repetitive movement.

9. Be prepared to open the left and right switch gear to search for rust and or broken parts. CAUTION: watch out for flying springs, ball bearings and stuff. Do indoors on White sheet (again don't ask ).

10. Be prepared to follow the heavy gauge wire from the Starter Solenoid (Relay) to the starter for bare wire exposure. Especially near bends and grommets.

11. If you can reproduce the fault symptom your are pretty much home free. Be prepare to find and repair/replace any internal wire breaks, insulation break downs, exposed wires, rubber grommet failures, etc. Often, shrink tubing will solve the problem temporarily until something better can be done.

12. I use a very good electrical contact cleaner/preservative called De-oxit made by Caig Labs in San Diego Ca. Their website is www.deoxit.com It can be purchased at Radio Shack and any other electronic supply store. I use it on all of my motorcycle’s electrical connectors , in my home entertainment center’s stereo patch cords and cordless phones charging cradles.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Page: