Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ550 GPz motor to LTD frame wiring questions 22 May 2015 12:34 #673173

• WhitehouseW
  • WhitehouseW's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a complete 82 LTD(bad motor) that is receiving a donor engine from a wrecked GPz(awesome motor).

I have pulled the motor from the GPz and left the harness on the wrecked bike. I am getting ready to pull the LTD now and am wondering if the harness will plug and play or not. I know the ignitor and battery and such are located in different areas and may need some adjustments but the big question is if the clips and coils and so on will match up.

If not, will it be easier to modify or replace the entire system?

LTD is an 82 and gpz is an 83.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ550 GPz motor to LTD frame wiring questions 22 May 2015 18:59 #673229

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Do you have the wiring diagrams for both bikes? If so, sit down with a pad of paper, and see if there's muchdifference. # ohm coils were used in both of them, but the pickup and other ignition wiring may not be the same.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

KZ550 GPz motor to LTD frame wiring questions 22 May 2015 19:07 #673230

• WhitehouseW
  • WhitehouseW's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I don't have either diagram.

I just got the LTD unplugged and un bolted and now it's ready to pull from the frame. It looks like many clips are the same but located in a different spot on each bike so reaching each clip may be the fail point.

KZ550 GPz motor to LTD frame wiring questions 23 May 2015 16:07 #673358

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
I'd keep the original LTD main loom, your ignition ATU advancer and pick ups from the LTD will fit but you will very likely need to slot the LTD mount plate holes to get your timing correct. There are subtle differences in the castings on some of the later 550 motors, so subtle everything fits together fine until you try to time the ignition and it is a mile off. The 83 zx model uses a different ignition system but you can retrofit the older one. Alternators are both three phase, no probs there.

Maybe think about putting the LTD cams back in, down on peak power but gives you stronger midrange rather than the more 'cammy' rpm power of the gpz cams, might be more suited to the bike. Also the higher compression of the GPz motor will perk things up a bit more.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• Page: