Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Battery dying super fast 25 Apr 2015 14:18 #669528

• Richardb98
  • Richardb98's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Okay so I have a 81 kz440 and it fires right up after I charge the battery, but then I noticed today when I when to go restart it the negative wire (it's super chewed up from PO) was really warm, almost hot. This is there it grounds to the frame. And after a couple minutes of cranking it the battery was dead. Do you guys think replacing this wire will help me out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battery dying super fast 25 Apr 2015 14:28 #669529

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Richardb98 wrote: Okay so I have a 81 kz440 and it fires right up after I charge the battery, but then I noticed today when I when to go restart it the negative wire (it's super chewed up from PO) was really warm, almost hot. This is there it grounds to the frame. And after a couple minutes of cranking it the battery was dead. Do you guys think replacing this wire will help me out?

You're cranking the starter for a couple minutes? That an awful lot! If it cranks that long without starting you have a different set of issues to deal with. I would recommend starting with a complete tune-up. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Battery dying super fast 25 Apr 2015 23:17 #669584

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

Richardb98 wrote: Okay so I have a 81 kz440 and it fires right up after I charge the battery, but then I noticed today when I when to go restart it the negative wire (it's super chewed up from PO) was really warm, almost hot. This is there it grounds to the frame. And after a couple minutes of cranking it the battery was dead. Do you guys think replacing this wire will help me out?

Could be a bad connection. Heat comes from power dissipation which is given by:

P = I (squared) x R

If there is a crummy ground connection it will have some resistance there and the high current it takes to crank the starter will cause heat. It will also cause a voltage drop which will make the starter crank weak.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Battery dying super fast 26 Apr 2015 18:31 #669689

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
A bad battery cable + a weak battery = not enough power to the coil, wich means weak spark. If carburetors and valve lash and timing ( or any one of them) are far from factory specifications, then the engine will not start. You can try replacing the negative battery cable and be certain it has a clean connection at each end, but ultimately, a good tuneup according to the factory service manual will be needed to insure an easy starting, smooth running engine.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: