Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

10 amp Ignition fuse keeps blowing 17 Jun 2015 05:33 #676917

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe 550 has one that was heated up and bent on a 90*. Here's one new.
Steve
The topic has been locked.

10 amp Ignition fuse keeps blowing 18 Jun 2015 01:58 #677096

• RFE81LTD1K
  • RFE81LTD1K's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

swest wrote: The 550 has one that was heated up and bent on a 90*. Here's one new.
Steve

Yeah, those would work great. No more bending the line making sure it doesn't crimp as you lower the tank down. I may order a few.
Found them cheaper here; www.power-barn.com/visu-filter-1-4-inlin...0-degree-angle-type/
And here; www.1977mopeds.com/visu-in-line-fuel-filter-90-degree-turn.html
81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.

10 amp Ignition fuse keeps blowing 18 Jun 2015 03:00 #677097

• RFE81LTD1K
  • User
New run issue ... Took the bike out to test the new clutch today. Works great. While doing so I noticed some hesitation upon throttling. Maybe hesitation isn't the right term. It's more like a chugging blubber. I was told from somebody behind me that when it does this the left side exhaust was dumping raw fuel out of it. ??? I didn't see it myself but take it on his word that's what he saw. Engine still idles fine and once it gets past that blubber runs like a bat out of he11. Not that I think it has anything to do with it but today's ride was the first time I've been able to give it full throttle due to the old clutch slipping.
The problem only happens when I open the throttle at low rpms. Once the rpms come up it runs great. Going from nearly idling down the street, to blubbering and then running right again all happens within a matter of a second or two. I'm assuming just long enough for the rpms to come up enough to clear out what I assume is the excess fuel that was seen.
I need to ride it again and see if it does it when holding a steady speed at low rpm or if it only does when I open the throttle.
Dumping raw fuel obviously sounds like a flooding problem. But why only when I open the throttle? Or is it loading up before that and i only notice it when i open the throttle?
Thinking back, even with the slipping clutch I never noticed it doing this till I ran it fairly hard a couple of times today. But as before I don't really think that has anything to do with my new problem.
If I find out I have yet another needle and seat that aren't closing properly, I'm gonna be all over Z1 for selling shi77y carb parts. :angry: That and I'm already not too happy with them anyway. But that's a whole nother story.

Robert
81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.

10 amp Ignition fuse keeps blowing 18 Jun 2015 06:22 #677112

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Robert, you need to start a new thread in the carburetor column to continue this discussion.
Thanks
Steve

10 amp Ignition fuse keeps blowing 18 Jun 2015 10:39 #677135

• RFE81LTD1K
  • User

swest wrote: Robert, you need to start a new thread in the carburetor column to continue this discussion.
Thanks
Steve

Good idea. I'll do that if I can't figure it out or get it running right. I''m pretty sure it's another needle/seat issue but I'll let you know in a new thread.

Thanks.
Robert
81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.

10 amp Ignition fuse keeps blowing 18 Jun 2015 10:46 #677136

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Good man. B) This thread is closed.
Steve

10 amp Ignition fuse keeps blowing 28 Jun 2015 00:44 #678574

• Copbike1000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I had similar issues with my KZP1000. Bike had been stored for 6 years by PO. I was stumped with electrical issues as well as fuel leaks. Once I got the bike started up for the first time, the fuel petcock sprung a leak all over the engine, No bueno. I took the petcock apart and found rubber fragments from seals and the internal diaphragm that had decomposed. All the fragmented rubber from the fuel petcock got into the fuel line as well as into the carbs.

So, I bought a petcock rebuild kit on Ebay and, all is well with fuel petcock. Onto next issue. When I started engine after petcock repair, the engine would not idle correctly and, if it did idle, it idled on two cylinders, not all four. I figured I had a bad coil. I went ahead and bought new spark plugs and ignition wires. Still same issue, would not idle correctly, and if it did idle, it ran on two cylinders. I had taken the carbs off of the bike, cleaned them all but, after all my efforts, same idle issues continued.

By the way, I had installed a new Vance & Hines four into one exhaust and pod filters for the carbs, so I knew I'd need to re-jet the carbs. I purchased and installed new pilot jets, which control idle. All good now, engine runs strong and smoothly.

I also kept blowing fuses. The main fuse on my KZP1000 is a 30 amp glass fuse. I went to Harbor Freight and found a box of assorted glass fuses that only cost me a couple of bucks. "LESSON LEARNED". first off, I figured the original fuses on the bike were over 20+ years old so I replaced them all with the Harbor Freight fuses. BIG MISTAKE!!! Those fused were of poor quality to say the least. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I cannot tell you how many times I went for a ride and got stuck somewhere with a blown fuse. The fuses would blow or would get red hot. Pulled em all off of bike and tossed em in the trash.

I found that those old school glass fuses are hard to find, more so, the correct voltage/ amp fuses were a challenge to find.
I would NOT settle for no name fuses so I surfed the internet high and low for a brand name fuse. I finally found BUSS brand fuses. I now have installed good quality BUSS fuses, all good.

Good luck with your bike. Hope the above will be of assistance for you!
1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P, Rancho Cordova, Ca
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598384...-project-bike#674472

10 amp Ignition fuse keeps blowing 28 Jun 2015 07:01 #678589

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Thank you for your input. This thread has been locked. Feel free to start a new thread on whatever topic you wish.
Steve