• Page:

TOPIC:

Early 70s KX900 - Ignition and wiring to start? 28 Mar 2015 09:23 #665516

• hbpaints
  • hbpaints's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone,

Just found and acquired a early 70's KZ900 from a barn... I've built lots of race cars and such, but never worked on bikes, so im new to this. Going to make a bobber or drag bike with it but need advice or help getting it wired to run.

previous owner has all ignition wiring and coils disconnected and removed.

So... I was thinking of starting from scratch. The basics needed to get it running? Is there an aftermarket kit available or can I rig something else up?

any help getting this up and running is greatly appreciated.
1982 Kawasaki Spectre 1100
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100
1987 Kawasaki 454 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Early 70s KX900 - Ignition and wiring to start? 28 Mar 2015 10:50 #665528

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
You can get a complete wiring loom from Z1enterprizes. Keep it stock or near stock. You won't be sorry.
Steve

Early 70s KX900 - Ignition and wiring to start? 28 Mar 2015 12:29 #665552

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
You bypass the wiring loom and fire it up using just about 6 wires, preferably with an inline fuse using any 12 volt battery,

battery - ignition box -ignition sensor-coils-plugs, (for a transistorised kawasaki or dyna system) and if you want to use the starter, jump leads: one from battery -ve to frame or motor ground , and one from battery + to starter motor main terminal.

Check out the recent dyna versus factory ignition thread, going from 80's oem transistorised to an aftermarket dyna box maybe no big improvements, but going from original contact points I'd look to upgrade it. Any classic bike or car on points I'd always want to convert to electronic ignition. You'd probably be best buying new dyna ignion and coils plus leads, rather than paying big money on NOS or risking 40 plus year old salvage.

Always nice to hear it run, it brings an unknown project to life just hearing it fire up. Also if it sounds like a cement mixer it is good to know at this stage. Expect it to smoke a bit, mine do if stored for any length of time. Old valve stem oil seals let oil into the bore, particularly if left on the sidestand.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Last edit: by Tyrell Corp.
  • Page: