Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stock CDI vs. Dyna 27 Mar 2015 10:07 #665408

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 175

loudhvx wrote:

Nessism wrote: The Dyna S works perfectly with the stock coils...

Dyna says the lower limit to coil resistance for the Dyna S is 3 ohms. Stock is 2.3 ohms.

They even put it in all caps.

Using a coil that is out of recommended spec may work, but it is stressing the electronics more than the manufacturer had intended. There are many threads on KZR with Dyna S problems. It would be a bad idea to stress it more than necessary.

Yes - the Dyna-S must have 3 ohm or higher res coils.
Yes - the Dyna 3-ohm coils will work with the factory IC Igniter.

While we do like to sell the Dyna-S ignitions, I also agree about retaining the factory IC Igniter while it is still working. I don't recommend replacing it unless if goes bad.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stock CDI vs. Dyna 28 Mar 2015 10:09 #665520

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That's strange about the tach. I couldn't get the Sunpro tach to work with the stock ignition until I designed an adapter from scratch (just a couple diodes and the proper resistor). It took a while to get the values right, but eventually it worked perfectly. I assumed a digital tach would have been easier to get to work. It may be the changing dwell had something to do with it.

Stock CDI vs. Dyna 30 Mar 2015 09:25 #665786

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
I did the same thing loudhvx, built an adapter with advice from Koso tech. No joy, nothing worked tach would bounce all over until I swapped out the stock IC ignitor ignition system for a Dyna S. I spent more money on signal filters, adapters and new stock Kawasaki parts than I spent on the new Dyna S and coils. Should have just went straight the Dyna system, would have saved me $$$.

Stock CDI vs. Dyna 30 Mar 2015 09:37 #665790

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I have had nothing but frustrating conversations with tech help lines. It's sad how often they just have absolutely wrong information about their own products, much less an understanding about how other products work.

There are so many different permutations of ignitions and tachs, I don't know that there will ever be one adapter for all possibilities.

To answer a PM based on this thread, I'll post the circuit I ended up using. It only applies to the stock ignition and a Sunpro Minitach from 15 years ago. If the tach design has changed (as they have for that particular tach in the past), the circuit may not be valid.

I originally used 1k resistors, assuming they would be well within an acceptable range. Turns out the range of acceptable resistances was far narrower than I thought. Without using an oscilloscope, I don't think I would have come up with the right values.

Incidently, a Dyna S would require a totally different design from this one, due to the dwell differences.

for kohalikkalamees:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kohalikkalamees

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: