Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 23 Feb 2015 13:46 #662507

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
The AGM battery also does not have any liquid acid in it, that means you don't have to fill it with acid and you never have to check water levels. It also means it's legal to ship to states like California which restrict hazardous materials.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 23 Feb 2015 15:32 #662517

• runmikeyrun
  • runmikeyrun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for all the input!

Ok a couple things:

1. I've been riding for about 25 years. Ive never owned an electric start bike before, all old two stroke twins and a triple, enduros, etc. So in my case I can eliminate the current draw from lights and a starter. Not saying it's invalid, just a rule out for my scenario.

2. My current enduro has a gel battery that it came with. It's been in there at least 6 years with no issues. I also replaced my lead acid battery in one of my RDs with a Radio Shack Ni-Cad battery and that lasted 7 years and was still going strong when I sold it this summer.

In all other instances I've used lead acid batteries and always get 1-2 years out of them. I've tried trickle chargers inside the house and in the garage during the winter. I've topped them off with distilled water. Everything the manufacturers say to do. funny thing is, the ni-cad and gel batteries I never trickle charged or took inside and they worked flawlessly year after year.

I'm gonna go with the suggestions on here about gel batteries. As far as a circuit to disconnect the headlamp while starting the bike, it will take me too much time to wire in a switch or devise a relay circuit (i already have a CB350 project started) but that's trick and I will implement that in the future.
Monkey? MONKEY? I'm a GORILLA you CLOWN!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: