Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 21 Feb 2015 20:32 #662314

• runmikeyrun
  • runmikeyrun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm tired of batteries that go kaput after a year or two. I've tried everything- keeping them on a tender, inside away from the cold, etc. The vibration kills them. So, I'm hoping to get some real world recommendations on a different type of battery. Gel possibly, although I've seen others too- lithium iron I believe. I'm asking because it seems like a lot of the batteries have so many random reviews it's hard to tell whats good and whats not.

I have an 81 KZ750E. Thanks in advance!
Monkey? MONKEY? I'm a GORILLA you CLOWN!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 21 Feb 2015 22:38 #662324

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
I strongly recommend AGM:

www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX14AHL-BS.html

They don't die from vibration, lead acid batteries die from over discharge.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 21 Feb 2015 22:41 #662325

• bountyhunter
  • User

runmikeyrun wrote: I'm tired of batteries that go kaput after a year or two.

You can probably double the life of a typical bike battery by modifying the electrics so that the lights are disconnected before the starter cranks. The heavy load of having all the lights on when you start the bike is early death for a battery. It can be done with a couple of relays.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 22 Feb 2015 06:42 #662349

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Something is definitely wrong if your batteries are dying after 1 or 2 years. Lead/acid batteries should last at least 4 years in a KZ. I suggest you check the charging system to make sure it's operating properly. It's possible the battery is being over-charged. Also, if you buy another lead/acid battery be sure to keep the fluid level between the marks by checking every month or two, and only use distilled water to top it off as needed. Also, never charge the motorcycle battery with a charger set above 2 amps as that will shorten its life bigtime. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 22 Feb 2015 11:08 #662375

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
I will have to disagree with 650ed on that. I have used lead acid batteries for 35 years on all my bikes. I have never gotten more than two years out of one. And I did everything right to preserve them during down time. Took them off hook them up to a battery tender, checked fluid levels during the winter and I still only got 2 years max out of any of them. I too HATE lead acid batteries. When the AGM batteries came out I started using them. They are fantastic, I install and ignore them. I bought one for my KZ650 about 5 years ago and I have not looked at since. It fires up every time I need it to and does not drain during downtime, It's still in my bike. My favorite battery is the Lithium Ion ones. I bought a Ballistic one for my ELR clone and those last a very long time, expensive but worth it if you are looking for light weight, high amps and long lasting.
If weight is nota n issue then got with an AGM replacement like MottoBat.

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 22 Feb 2015 12:18 #662382

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Agreed, I don't think vibration is the killer, more plate sulphation.

I like Gel batteries, like tyres and chains it is one of those service items that have improved no end since these bikes were new. More cold cranking amps, higher open circuit voltage and no acid to leak.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 22 Feb 2015 12:48 #662391

• bountyhunter
  • User
My KZ750 B4 averaged 18 month life on the first three batteries due to the fact the lights stay on with the key. That heavy crank load to start kills them much faster. After modifying so the lights turn off when the starter energizes, the average life went up to about 5 - 6 years. same cheapo type battery, just reduced peak loading.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 22 Feb 2015 13:54 #662397

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
Does it really hurt a battery and shorten it's life by loading it more during starts? I've never really considered that, but could be I suppose. I always turn off the lights on the KZ650s that have the capability, on my KZ1000s, neither have the option, but I had similar battery life out of all the old acid fill batteries, usually 4yrs or so. Last battery I got was a Motobatt and it's really good so far, turns the engine over real strong even after sitting for several months.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 22 Feb 2015 14:01 #662400

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

baldy110 wrote: I will have to disagree with 650ed on that. I have used lead acid batteries for 35 years on all my bikes. I have never gotten more than two years out of one. And I did everything right to preserve them during down time. Took them off hook them up to a battery tender, checked fluid levels during the winter and I still only got 2 years max out of any of them. I too HATE lead acid batteries. When the AGM batteries came out I started using them. They are fantastic, I install and ignore them. I bought one for my KZ650 about 5 years ago and I have not looked at since. It fires up every time I need it to and does not drain during downtime, It's still in my bike. My favorite battery is the Lithium Ion ones. I bought a Ballistic one for my ELR clone and those last a very long time, expensive but worth it if you are looking for light weight, high amps and long lasting.
If weight is nota n issue then got with an AGM replacement like MottoBat.

That's interesting! I've owned my bike for 38 years and have always used lead acid batteries and I have never gotten less than 4 years use out of a battery; usually more like 6 years. When I get a new battery I charge it with a very low amperage (1 amp) trickle charger to bring it up to the correct initial voltage. After that I never use a battery tender or anything else on them. In the Winter I run my bike for about 15-20 minutes once every 7-10 days to keep the battery charged and oil on the cylinder walls. I have sometimes been negligent (shame on me) and let the fluid level get pretty low, and that may account for one battery lasting only 4 years.

My KZ650-C1 came stock with an ON/OFF switch for the headlight. When I park the bike I shut off the light, so when I start the bike the light is already off. Bountyhunter's experience makes me wonder if other folks who have experienced premature battery failure have the ON all the time headlight. Other causes of short battery life can be attributed to faulty voltage regulators, letting the fluid run very low, or using chargers that charge at more than 2 amps or jumping from a running vehicle. I suppose if an off-brand battery is used it may not have a long life.

None of the above means I have a negative attitude against batteries that use newer and possibly better technology, because I don't. It simply describes my experience and my understanding of what can shorten a battery's life. I have always used what has worked satisfactorily for me, but I may switch to different technology at some point. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 22 Feb 2015 21:28 #662442

• bountyhunter
  • User

RonKZ650 wrote: Does it really hurt a battery and shorten it's life by loading it more during starts?.

Yes. For sure. Remember that size/weight constraints on a bike mean the battery is undersized to begin with.

Removing the lights also means the battery can still crank the starter with much less crank Amp demand on it. That means it can still work as it ages farther into it's "old age".
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 22 Feb 2015 21:31 #662444

• bountyhunter
  • User

650ed wrote: None of the above means I have a negative attitude against batteries that use newer and possibly better technology, because I don't.

I have an open mind on new tech. I switched to AGM on my last purchase (more than a year ago) and it is far superior to wet cell. It spins the starter much faster and starts much easier.

As for the new Li tech: from what I read, it's either feast or famine. Many posters have great reports and many have catastrophic failures.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

looking to upgrade from lead-acid battery 23 Feb 2015 00:55 #662453

• Zephyrrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
Been running a $90 Motobatt (yellow) Gel battery for a couple of years now - i ride on some of the worst roads you are ever likely see and it is bloody brilliant - fark them acid things.
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Last edit: by Zephyrrider.
  • Page: