Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ignition coil collar 13 Feb 2015 10:42 #661506

• gwyon
  • gwyon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My service manual says, "Use only the Kawasaki ignition coil bolts to mount the ignition coil. Bolts of a different composition may adversely affect ignition performance." I'm missing one of the collars on my ignition coil. Should the collar be of the same composition as the bolts? Does anyone here know what kind of metal it is? My one remaining collar looks like brass. There's a collar on ebay, but it's eight bucks. Eight bucks. Hoping I can find something at Lowes tonight for about seven bucks less.
Thanks.

Attachment IMG_2862.jpg not found

1981 KZ440 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ignition coil collar 13 Feb 2015 14:59 #661528

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Interesting question. It seems they went to a lot of trouble to make brass spacers and even a brass ferrule to isolate the steel bolt from the laminated core of the coil. I have not been able to see a reason for it, though. I have tested the coils in different arrangements with and without mounting them to the frame, and the electrical behavior of the coils change somewhat, from one of those extremes to the other. I wouldn't worry about using different materials for the spacers.

The main thing is to use steel bolts to mount them so the magnetic flux has a complete ferrous path. Without it, the coil will store a tiny bit less energy for the spark, but probably not enough to worry about very much.

For anyone interested in the results (nothing real interesting there), I have them here:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio...s/IgnitionCoils.html

ignition coil collar 13 Feb 2015 16:16 #661533

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Interesting, I never knew that. I've used stainless washers and nuts here with no problems.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

ignition coil collar 13 Feb 2015 16:53 #661539

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
That's HS. A piece of copper tubing would work but if you can get a bushing, that's better. Go for it. The main thing is heat transfer.
Steve

• Page: