• Page:

TOPIC:

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 24 Jan 2015 19:45 #659655

• nlwatkin
  • nlwatkin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Salutations everyone!

It has been a while since I posted here (gone over seas on deployment). Initially I have been having problems trying to get my KZ1000 to start. After getting back from overseas and poking around I noticed that the whiles to the pickup coils were really really stiff and hard and no longer pliable. The coils looked pretty bad and considering I needed to replace plug wires I just went ahead and ordered new coils and a Dyna S ignition.

After I hooked everything up (which was pretty easy) I tried to static time the Dyna S and am running into some issues. For starters I made sure I:

Hooked the coils up right and didn't cross any wires.
Fully charged battery reading 12v
Properly working test light
Made sure the mechanical advance works properly and that the small magnetic piece orients to the left.

I hooked up the test light initially to the black wire on the 1-4 coil and grounded it to the face place on the Dyna S and it lights up. It doesn't matter what position the timing mark is, I can do a full 360 and the light stays on. If I hook the test light up to the connection I made into the wiring harness, and again ground to the face plate of the Dyna, the light DOES NOT come on. It stays dark no matter how many degrees I turn the the motor by hand. Am I missing something stupid here because I really feel like I am. Its been a while since I tinkered on the bike so it is taking me a little bit to get back into it. Your help is always appreciated!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 04:37 #659677

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Black/yellow is a ground wire.

The Dyna-S red wire should splice into a switched-battery-positive harness wire, or possibly an available accessory connector wire from the harness.

The black Dyna-S wire goes to the ignition coil firing the two outside spark plugs.

The green Dyna-S wire goes to the ignition coil firing the two inside spark plugs.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 06:30 #659684

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2613
What year is it. Looks like a KZP. You will have to bypass the igniter completely. How many OHM's are your coils?
Steve

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 07:24 #659690

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
For a more reliable power connection, solder the joint & cover it with heatshrink tubing. The earlier versions of the Dyna, used the cheap, but corrosion prone 3M electrical splice. After some time, the connection would become intermittent, making troubleshooting a nightmare.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 07:39 #659692

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

Last edit: by Old Man Rock.

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 09:22 #659705

• nlwatkin
  • User
It is a 1995. I get that the ignitor is not of use anymore but I couldn't see where else to splice into for the coils especially. They come come out of the coil and then into the harness and then (from what I can see) come out again where I spliced into the white plug. The coils are the green 3ohm ones from Z1. The red wire traces to the starter switch. Black to black, green to green. Soldering aside, is the general assembly suggesting to splice into another location? Is it because I am splicing into a plug that originally connected to the ignitor that is causing the problem?

Again thank you everyone for the help, this forum is awesome and always contains a wealth of information.

Nate

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 12:34 #659716

• nlwatkin
  • User
I am an idiot! ;) I answered my own question, instead of wiring into the plug for the ignitor, I wired it into the harness that wired into the plug and now I am making good headway. Thanks for the help! Sometimes you just need to take a break and come back to the issue. Usually the problem is staring you in the face!

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 13:06 #659720

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Yep, ya needs a switched(ignition switch) power source, to supply the Dyna with 12 volts DC.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 13:34 #659722

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Did you disconnect the ignitor, if not do so.
Steve

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 25 Jan 2015 23:20 #659773

• nlwatkin
  • User
Well I got the timing set, now I am dealing with carb issues. #4 bowl is not filling up with gas (I suspect the float and that little needle is to blame) and the spark plugs are bone dry. Don't even smell gas nor are they wet. I did take the carbs apart and "cleaned" them and removed what I could to try and clean out but that was many months ago. Looks like I have to pull them again.... The thing is, even if only 3 carbs would feed gas, I don't see how ALL the plugs could not get gas. I have the original petcock (but was rebuilt as it was leaking) and it flows gas no mater what position the petcock is in, prime, on or reserve. Also, I have a smaller tube (I guess vacuum?) that feeds from the #1 carb into the smaller port on the petcock. Also, between I want to say #2 and #3 are bridged with another hose and #4 is plugged. Could this also cause issues? I bought the bike for $400 and was told it ran "six months prior but pulled the carbs to have them cleaned". It is hard to say what the original owner has done (up to and including wiring mods).

Thanks again everyone! This forum is great!
Nate

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 26 Jan 2015 06:16 #659781

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

nlwatkin wrote: ... #4 bowl is not filling up with gas...even if only 3 carbs would feed gas, I don't see how ALL the plugs could not get gas....

Only the #4 carb feeds gas to the #4 cylinder.
Same for each cylinder which is fed gas only by its own separate carb.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

New Dyna S, test light stays on 95 KZ1000 26 Jan 2015 06:44 #659785

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Adjust the float again. Do yourself a favor and get some Allens. Then you can service the carbs on the bike. Might have to rebuild the petcock.
Steve

• Page: