Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter silinoid WHAT IN THE WORLD 11 Jan 2015 09:53 #658413

• daren1093251
  • daren1093251's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Excuse the unprofessional title, just needed a 'catchy' title. None the less, here's my headache :

I got a 1984 KZ 550 LTD, runs and good, all wires are good NONE corroded, (went over all of them, cleaned and changed those needed) when I go to start it using the normal start button, it just clicks. Figured silinoid was broken even though it's new, so I put touched the silinoid with a metal piece and the starter turned normally, then literally 5 minutes after I went to restart the bike, the starter button itself works now. This morning, go to start it, silinoid clicks, touched the silinoid with metal, then start button works.. I tried several differant silinoids so far, some used and some new, (i went my local repair shop he gave me a silinoid off a 900r? and the silinoid is MUCH bigger than the stock one and it still does that. Can't figure out why, all wires are good, connections as well, is it maybe the actual start button?

Sorry for my bad english, french is my main language.

If anybody could give me some info, it'd be appreciated, thanks
If you ain't first ; You're last

Current bikes :

2013 Kawasaki KLX250s
1984 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD (Project!)
1985 Honda Aero 85 (Rebuilding!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter silinoid WHAT IN THE WORLD 11 Jan 2015 11:17 #658418

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 61
I would suggest cleaning all the contacts in the right switch gear... throttle side. (if you've not already)

I also had a similar problem with my KZ650-D2. I had cleaned everything, including the switch gear contacts... well, when I put a different (used) solenoid in, everything seemed to fix itself and the problem went away.

So, don't know what the problem is, but my thoughts...
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

Starter silinoid WHAT IN THE WORLD 11 Jan 2015 11:25 #658419

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
+1

Also might want to check the lockout switch at the clutch lever on the left handlebar. On most bikes power goes from the ignition to the kill switch to the start button to the lockout switch to the solenoid. You might have an intermittent fault somewhere in that path

There might be a wiring diagram in the filebase here.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Starter silinoid WHAT IN THE WORLD 11 Jan 2015 11:28 #658420

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 61

JR wrote: Also might want to check the lockout switch at the clutch lever on the left handlebar. On most bikes power goes from the ignition to the kill switch to the start button to the lockout switch to the solenoid. You might have an intermittent fault somewhere in that path.

Good call...
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

Last edit: by !Seymore.

Starter silinoid WHAT IN THE WORLD 11 Jan 2015 16:59 #658431

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Yes that's possible. Also check the kill switch block. Mine was shattered so I left it on all the time. This last rebuild, I went through it with Krazy glue and JB weld. It's been working for two years now and the controls are 40 years old so I plan to get a new one, about $50 at z1partsinc.com. I cleaned it up, re painted it, used oil paint for the letters but it IS 40 years old. The left is new, time for the right. Before it breaks again of course.
Steve

• Page: