Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

COMPAIRING Incandescent, Halogen and LED Lights 31 Dec 2014 05:13 #657430

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

fxdl2051 wrote: Lots of discussion about this on another forum, problem is even if the lights are brighter, leds are not designed for standard housings anymore than HIDs so the beam spread is different. There is also so much flat out lying by bulb mgs, it's really hard to know what's true in terms of real performance. If you do go with a high output led, make sure you're stock housing will accommodate the cooling fans these things require and in the case of HIDs or high wattage halogens ensure the wattage is not so high it damages/burns the reflective finish on the inside of the housing, damages wiring or the plug ends. I've spent a lot of money on leds and so far don't think they're any better than incandescent especially since they'll need a load equalizer installed to work properly at least in the role of brake/ts applications. Also important is kelvin, since the color of the light affects how easily the eye can perceive it. Leds generally yield a brilliant white light at around 5-6 Kelvin, while halogens don't go much about 4500K which is why they look so yellow compared to leds or to HIDs which can run up to 8 K, which gives a purplish light but doesn't help increase visibility.

Absolutely! Running a 100w halogen bulb in my Marchal lens housing damaged the reflective coating and one of the connectors on the bike. If one plans to run such a high wattage bulb it should be mounted in a lens housing made for high watts, and I would use a relay and dedicated circuit with robust connectors. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

COMPAIRING Incandescent, Halogen and LED Lights 31 Dec 2014 07:30 #657445

• spdygon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
what i have done is leave the high beam on and lowwer the lamp so not to blind incoming traffic.
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

COMPAIRING Incandescent, Halogen and LED Lights 02 Jan 2015 07:29 #657573

• zero10
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

rstnick wrote: Just bought myself one of these HID conversions. $20.
Will install for Spring and will give a review.

" Install a 35W HID headlamp and cut on electrical power with 3 times light output."

That looks really tempting - I'm in the middle of doing proper HID conversions (projector retrofit) on my cars right now and since the headlight on my kz750 is really poor I am feeling a strong temptation to just HID ALL THE THINGS!!!

Seriously though, that looks neat and i like that it is a bi-xenon with the solenoid in the bulb but I'm a little worried about the total depth of the unit. I haven't ever measured how much space there is behind the lens when installed, do you think it'll fit?
-

COMPAIRING Incandescent, Halogen and LED Lights 02 Jan 2015 10:51 #657590

• ncpanther20
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI have considered the HID kits, but with prices from $20 to $1000 for very similar looking kits, I wonder what is wrong with the cheeps and what the differences are? Shorter life,? Less durable? Higher current draw? Needs constant adjustment? Poor scatter pattern?

vs

same company, very different prices. Scary to someone who does not know the difference.
82 KZ1000 K2 LTD
530 conversion; 18" police rear wheel and tire; Rear sets; Longer rear shock; Bar end mirrors; HEL braided steal brake lines; PIAA bulb, Dyna 2000 ignition; Kerker 4-1 exhaust

COMPAIRING Incandescent, Halogen and LED Lights 02 Jan 2015 11:59 #657591

• Old Rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have always used the bulbs and lights i buy from law enforcement supply outfits, but I have that option. Im sure you could figure out a way to buy from them yourself as well. My question is why not just get some small running lights and mount them low. i know many dont like to venture to far from original but I have seen some nice lights mounted to the crash bars that actually looked good.
I saw somewhere a replacement headlight for KZ's that accepted the newer bulbs when i was looking into the lighting issue myself. As it goes now I always have to lead at night with my group they cant take even the low beam with me trailing.
Old Dogs never Die.

• Page: