Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 13:30 #654787

• Drummerskz900ltd
  • Drummerskz900ltd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
ok so basically im new to these bikes like I said in my last thread. and im just starting on pulling her apart. I pulled the tank last night and the first thing I wanted to get on the list to order was coils or coil packs. not sure what you call them in this situation. I have a 76 and my vin says its the b model bike. not really sure what the difference in my bike and the other version. when I went to look for coils I found some with no cylinder number distinction on them and only one plug lead? when the ones on my bike have two plug leads??? any idea on where to get oem parts or should I go with something else?
on to my next question. as I said I drained and pulled the tank to find a little rust on the inside of the tank ( structurally tank is perfect ). how do I get the rust outta the tank and keep it from coming back. sorry to be to ignorant to all this guys I just wanna learn to di it right the first time. thanks
Stevo
76 kz 900 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 14:13 #654793

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
A small amount of rust isn't a issue. Just get some in line bullet clear filters for it. You can put some bb's in and shake it around to loosen up the flaky stuff or coat it.
You want the exact type of coils. You could find some on eBay but don't wait. If they're bad file a claim immedatly. Get your money back. I don't know if enterprises have them for smaller KZ's but you might look there.
What makes you think the coils are at fault?
Steve

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 16:23 #654798

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

Drummerskz900ltd wrote: ok so basically im new to these bikes like I said in my last thread. and im just starting on pulling her apart. I pulled the tank last night and the first thing I wanted to get on the list to order was coils or coil packs. not sure what you call them in this situation. I have a 76 and my vin says its the b model bike. not really sure what the difference in my bike and the other version. when I went to look for coils I found some with no cylinder number distinction on them and only one plug lead? when the ones on my bike have two plug leads??? any idea on where to get oem parts or should I go with something else?
on to my next question. as I said I drained and pulled the tank to find a little rust on the inside of the tank ( structurally tank is perfect ). how do I get the rust outta the tank and keep it from coming back. sorry to be to ignorant to all this guys I just wanna learn to di it right the first time. thanks
Stevo

This is the coil that will work for your 750 twin, unfortunately they are out of stock. Maybe somebody else stocks them. You need a four Ohm coil, dual output leads. A five Ohm coil will also work, don't go lower than four Ohms.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

You may be able to get an OEM replacement from:

Z1 Enterprises
Bike Bandit
Old Bike Barn
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 16:26 #654799

• bountyhunter
  • User
I don't recommend a used coil off ebay.... guess how I learned about that. You don't need to replace a 38 year old coil with another 38 year old coil.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 16:30 #654800

• bountyhunter
  • User

Drummerskz900ltd wrote: I said I drained and pulled the tank to find a little rust on the inside of the tank ( structurally tank is perfect ).
Stevo

The best solution is to do the pebbles or BBs inside and then coat it with tank sealer. A little rust isn't fatal but it does flow downhill and accumulate in the carbs. Inline filters are a must.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 16:38 #654801

• bountyhunter
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis ad CLAIMS to be a new coil that fits KZ 750 twins:

Another possible coil:

4into1.com/universal-4-ohm-dual-output-ignition-coil-90mm/

www.oldbikebarn.com/search-by-model/kawa...uki-gs-ignition-coil
1979 KZ-750 Twin

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 17:50 #654802

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
Click on the ARTICLES icon (Riding and Wrenching) above, and then click on technical tips, now look for the how to clean Rusty Tank articles.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 18:35 #654805

• 80B4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 105
The guys name is Drummerskz900ltd, so I think he has a 900 ltd. If that's the case he needs to order a pair of coils and a set of plug wires from Dyna. Z1 Enterprises sells them and Jeff will know which coils will work best.
Rinse the tank out with some clean fuel. I always take the tank off and shake shake shake then drain it until I no longer see any rust or junk in the fuel, when I buy a used bike. Then I install a filter and just keep an eye on the filter.
1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

coils and rust in the tank 27 Nov 2014 18:50 #654808

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 206

80B4 wrote: The guys name is Drummerskz900ltd, so I think he has a 900 ltd. If that's the case he needs to order a pair of coils and a set of plug wires from Dyna. Z1 Enterprises sells them and Jeff will know which coils will work best.
Rinse the tank out with some clean fuel. I always take the tank off and shake shake shake then drain it until I no longer see any rust or junk in the fuel, when I buy a used bike. Then I install a filter and just keep an eye on the filter.

Yep, most likely a 1976 KZ900B Ltd.

And everything Bountyhunter suggested is still appropriate, although the OP will need two of those coils instead of just one.
KD9JUR

coils and rust in the tank 28 Nov 2014 06:28 #654822

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Yup those are new coils Emgo makes a lot of parts for vintage bikes. Good price too. Replace as a pair. The Dyna coils are great but sometimes over kill for some and the price must be justified to buy them.

coils and rust in the tank 28 Nov 2014 07:19 #654828

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658

mopguy wrote: Click on the ARTICLES icon (Riding and Wrenching) above, and then click on technical tips, now look for the how to clean Rusty Tank articles.

Just read through this article and strongly disagree with the idea of using muriatic (HCl) acid. The tank sealing kits you can purchase include phosphoric acid, which is much safer and doesn't need to be neutralized after derusting.

Home Depot sells phosphoric acid in gallon jugs in the Paint department. Etch and Prep it's called. Plug the tank openings, after removing things like the petcock and fuel gauge or similar, and dump in the Etch and Prep. Rotate and shake the tank every 10 mins or so and the tank will be rust free in an hour or so. Recycle the sauce for reuse and rinse the tank with clean water. There will be some minor flash rust while the tank is drying so consider some WD-40 inside to reduce the impact. Blow dry the inside of the tank with compressed air or a heat gun to avoid rust reformation.

If you need to line the tank get Por-15. They sell a complete kit which makes the project easy. They suggest that the rust doesn't need to be fully removed but don't believe them. Rust is like cancer and needs to be removed for best long term success. If the metal in the tank is thin, or if you have rust through spots, get Caswell's tank sealing epoxy. This stuff is uber thick and will plug holes better than the Por-15 stuff. Whatever you do stay away from Kreem. That stuff is junk. I've stripped out old tank liners and the Kreem is attacked by chemicals MUCH faster than Por-15's sealer. It's best to avoid sealers all together if possible, but go with Por-15's or Caswell's if you have no other choice.

Good luck and hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, bluezbike, !Seymore

Last edit: by Nessism.

coils and rust in the tank 28 Nov 2014 07:28 #654829

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043

steell wrote:

80B4 wrote: The guys name is Drummerskz900ltd, so I think he has a 900 ltd. If that's the case he needs to order a pair of coils and a set of plug wires from Dyna. Z1 Enterprises sells them and Jeff will know which coils will work best.

Yep, most likely a 1976 KZ900B Ltd.

And everything Bountyhunter suggested is still appropriate, although the OP will need two of those coils instead of just one.

In a previous thread the OP said it is a 1976 900 LTD. Sure would be helpful if he'd put that info in his signature line.
Just sayin.....
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: