Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 KZ440: Switching to electronic ignition 25 Nov 2014 16:31 #654635

• glennlives
  • glennlives's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I picked up a kz440b as a project bike for $175 :D , Cleaned up the carbs the floats were stuck , but I can't seem to get a spark. I replaced my plugs, still had no spark trying to figure out if its the coil or the points. I ordered replacement points from z1 replaced the condenser today and still couldn't get a spark. I couldn't seem to get the new points to fit on the they're a little bigger, but if i can just switch to electronic from points that would be nice. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I know Dyna makes them, but don't know what model is compatible. I've tried to research on this site. I also tested the coil on a multimeter and I couldn't get an accurate reading it freaked out my digital multimeter, don't have an analog one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1980 KZ440: Switching to electronic ignition 25 Nov 2014 16:45 #654637

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Dyna S is what you would be looking for. I'm not positive it will work on the 440. They have a great tech support group it just takes them a while on hold for them to get to you. You can email them but that is a really slow process.
As for the coils, the Dyna S requires 3 ohm coils so those have to be replaced also. Dyna sells them, they are green coils. You might save a few bucks on eBay, I suggest you make sure it will work before you buy.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

1980 KZ440: Switching to electronic ignition 25 Nov 2014 17:37 #654643

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 295
Download a shop manual and go thru the entire ignition system.
Electronic ignition was only available in the last few years of production.
Dyna does not offer a conversion. I have converted a 4 cyl. ignition system
to a 440 but, it involves machining and welding.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

1980 KZ440: Switching to electronic ignition 25 Nov 2014 18:41 #654650

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
81-83 KZ440 or 82-83 KZ750-Twin. If you get the stuff from a 750T, you'd probably need the 440 advancer.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1980 KZ440: Switching to electronic ignition 26 Nov 2014 12:37 #654690

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
I would get the points system working before you complicate things by modifying the ignition. A points ignition is the simplest thing on earth: 12V on the top of the coil winding and points that ground the other end of the winding. If you are not getting spark, you may have problem in the wiring which won't get fixed by dropping in new ignition. Start by disconnecting the battery and ohming out the leads that go to the coil and see if the points line is grounding when points close and showing high resistance when points open. Connect the battery and verify 12V getting to coil. When those two things happen, you'll get a spark.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Re:1980 KZ440: Switching to electronic ignition 26 Nov 2014 14:21 #654695

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599

kaw-a-holic wrote: Dyna S is what you would be looking for. I'm not positive it will work on the 440. They have a great tech support group it just takes them a while on hold for them to get to you. You can email them but that is a really slow process.
As for the coils, the Dyna S requires 3 ohm coils so those have to be replaced also. Dyna sells them, they are green coils. You might save a few bucks on eBay, I suggest you make sure it will work before you buy.

You might be thinking about the other Dyna. I have the Dyna S and had 5 OHM coils. I suspected they were going bad. I just switched to 3 OHM I bought on eBay last year. I was under the impression the 3 OHM wouldn't work with the Dyna S. After reading up on the differences of the two and the conflicting opinions, I tried them. HOT spark. More power draw, stuttering off idle went away so I was right, the coils were bad. I just hope I don't burn out my Dyna. I have my points and plate with the bike just in case. Before I had installed the relay system I made up to re rout the power to the coils. That helped, now there are no issues.
Maybe that's why you got it for $175. It's worth putting some money into.
Steve

1980 KZ440: Switching to electronic ignition 01 Dec 2014 16:47 #655102

• glennlives
  • glennlives's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Got it started! Needed new points and and a new coil. First time it's been started since 1986 :D

Didn't blow any smoke, now i just gotta hook gas tank and vacuum hoses back up and see how it idles. If that goes well. The scrambler build begins.

I really wanted to run pods but I'm leaning towards just using the stock airbox unless I can get a good price on the guy fabricating a manifold for a single carb conversion.

Last edit: by glennlives.
  • Page: