• Page:

TOPIC:

wiring 05 Nov 2014 19:43 #652994

• Truckguy
  • Truckguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 kz 440 bobber project
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys Im new to the forum.. I bought a 1981 kz 440 from a guy for cheap and it is in relatively decent shape but the wiring is a ratsnest. I am building it into a bobber and only want to run gauges headlight and brake light only bare essentials but I am having trouble with the wiring since. A. I dont know what everything is. B. its old and all of the electrical components are not in the best condition and may need to be replaced. C. I just dont know enough about electrical!
so my question is does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced chopper wiring harness that i can use to only wire what i need? is there anyone in the northern virginia area that may be able to take a look and lend some advice?
thanks guys!
I am 20 years old, I am an auto mechanic and a student as well as a skateboarder surfer and full time redneck. I love anything with a motor so I bought this KZ440 needing a lot of work...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

wiring 06 Nov 2014 06:26 #653027

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
DimeCityCycles sells a universal wiring harness, but it's pricy & they used 18G wire for some of it.

Below is a KZRider topic w a couple of reduced wiring harness by loudhvx. You'll have to figure out if any of them would be suitable for the 440, but I'd guess the 750-Twin would be the closest match. I only looked at the last page in the topic, so there might be other diagrams.
(the 76-80 750T had points ignition. Also, the 750H is a 4-cyl w 3-phase charging system).

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight ---- Page 19.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

wiring 06 Nov 2014 10:20 #653045

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks, Martin. Yes, the 750 twin should be close, but the charging system could be different. I'll see if there may be a closer match somewhere.

The last post on page 12 has a 1980 440. IT should be similar.
But, again, the charging system may be three phase on yours, and this one has points. I don't know when the 440 went to electronic ignition.
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/17274...mattylight?start=220

I added a 1981 KZ440 on page 19. Post #653049.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: