• Page:

TOPIC:

2 Lighting Questions ??? 04 Nov 2014 18:52 #652896

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
Put the instrument cluster together today on my 77' KZ1000A. All the electrical work, EXCEPT:

1. When I turn on the headlights at the handlebar switch, headlight works ( both low and high ) , tail light does not?
Change out the 1157 dual filament bulb to new, no difference? The stop light does work from both handlebar brake lever and rear brake pedal.

2. Instrument Lights ( all 4: 2 in Tach and 2 in Speedo ) do not come in with Light Switch turned on at handlebar switch? Installed all new bulbs.

Any ideas? Does the bike have to be running for the above to work? If that's the case, far from getting it running yet. Just using a fully charged battery to test everything electrical.
77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kzdcw.

2 Lighting Questions ??? 04 Nov 2014 19:41 #652907

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Under the seat, there's a red tail light wire from the harness that's connected via a bullet connector to the red wire from the rear light.
With the ignition switched ON, could disconnect the bullet connector and measure for voltage being supplied from the harness red wire.

Here's a link to the wiring diagram in KZr's FILEBASE.
www.kzrider.com/filebase/search/finish/1-general/246-z1000a1

Note the red wire from ignition switch to the tail light bulb filament.

Would assure integrity of the connector from ignition switch and bullet connector under seat.

Note also the chart regarding ignition connections.

Voltage on the red wire at the ignition switch is supposed to be conducted through the red wire to the tail light bulb.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

2 Lighting Questions ??? 04 Nov 2014 21:22 #652918

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Patton, And the Tach and Speedo Lights ? I'll start at the Fuses first tomorrow, then try to work my way forward.
77' KZ1000A

2 Lighting Questions ??? 05 Nov 2014 06:37 #652934

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

kzdcw wrote: Patton, And the Tach and Speedo Lights ? ....

Wiring diagram shows the four bulbs are supposed to receive battery positive voltage through blue wires from the ignition switch in ON position.

The black/yellow wires are supposed to be connected to ground.

Could check each bulb socket for presence of voltage.
Also check blue wire connection in the switch for presence of voltage.

If there's voltage on the blue wire connection at the switch, but voltage isn't conducting from the switch to the bulb sockets, would check for a break in the blue wire from the ignition switch.

Could also run a temporary test wire from the positive battery post to the blue wires feeding the instrument bulbs, to determine whether or not the bulbs will light up with assured supply of battery voltage.

Could also run a temporary test wire from the negative battery post to the black/yellow wires that are supposedly grounding the instrument bulbs, to determine whether or not the bulbs will light up with assured grounding.

Sometimes the rubber socket holders deteriorate and get mushy, which may prevent sufficient connections to the bulb.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

2 Lighting Questions ??? 05 Nov 2014 08:17 #652936

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Patton, I'll work on it this afternoon. Maybe something got disrupted when I put together the instrument cluster? At least this information you gave me will point me in the right direction. Appreciate the Help Again and will report back. Thank You !!!
77' KZ1000A

2 Lighting Questions ??? 05 Nov 2014 16:25 #652967

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Patton, I pulled the instrument cluster apart on my 77' KZ1000A. The rubber bulb socket holders for the instrument lights ( 4 ) are pretty gone especially the rubber around the socket itself. All there is left is the rubber cap at the end where the 2 wires go thru. So I wonder if the bare sockets are grounding out in the instruments? I removed all 4 bulbs from the Tach and Speedo and turned on the headlights and they all work or light up ! I was going to try and wrap the sockets with tape or shrink tubing before I but them back into the instruments? Any opinions?

Haven't got to the tail lights yet.
77' KZ1000A

Last edit: by kzdcw.

2 Lighting Questions ??? 05 Nov 2014 19:27 #652991

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Placed some heat shrink tubing around the bare metal lamp sockets and also some electrical tape at the base of the sockets. Re-installed everything back together. Everything works as it should, Don't know if that was the corrective action but it works?

Will have to wait a few days before I tackle the tail light.
77' KZ1000A

• Page: