• Page:

TOPIC:

starting issue... 03 Nov 2014 10:48 #652769

• DruKZ550gpz
  • DruKZ550gpz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
1982 kz550 gpz
stock except for Pods and stage 3 dynojet jet kit.

Bought the bike and tore it down, rebuilt carbs, cleaned tank, went through all connections with deoxit one at a time. Put it all back together and tried to start it and battery was dead. Charged battery and tried again. The headlight and turn signals work as well as the neutral light. Nothing else works.
I'm going to open the book and start testing everything by the book with a multi - meter and test light.
Since the bike did turn over before the tear down and we did not disconnect multiple connections at the same time, anyone have any ideas of the most likely culprit based on experience? Just trying to save some time.
Thanks in advance,
David
1982 kz550gpz under construction
pods and dynojet stage 3 jet kit
1985 Suzuki Madura 1200 stock
1997 yzf750r streetfighter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

starting issue... 03 Nov 2014 13:08 #652781

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
When you hit the start button does the headlight go dim? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

starting issue... 03 Nov 2014 17:56 #652815

• DruKZ550gpz
  • User
No it does not but I took the switch apart last night and hit it with the test light and there is power and the test light gets brighter when the start button is depressed. There is no audible click when depressed either.
I have to go to harbor freight and pick up a multi meter.

starting issue... 03 Nov 2014 19:02 #652818

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
You do know about the clutch lever interlock? To start the engine, turn on the ignition switch, and with the fuel tap in the "On" Position, squeeze the clutch lever while depressing the start button on the right handlebar switch pod. Make sure to be in neutral before doing this.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

starting issue... 03 Nov 2014 19:37 #652819

• DruKZ550gpz
  • User
Yup. Clutch is pulled in when trying to start and it is in neutral. Not cranking over. Put the battery in my yzf750r and it turned over slow but started so I think I can rule out the battery.
Spent the night after work in the garage making sure all of the connections were tight and that there were no crimped or melted wires or blown fuses.

starting issue... 04 Nov 2014 09:40 #652848

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Starter Solenoid/Motor Checkout Procedure

Some simple steps to determine what is working and what's not:

1.Fully charge and test the battery(most bike shops can load test the battery, and then use a floating ball hydrometer to check specific gravity in the charged cells).

2.Clean all battery terminals of corrosion.

3.Tighten all starting related connections(Positive RED(+) battery terminal, Negative BLACK(-)terminal) and from the terminal to the engine case. All connections must be clean and tight. If the cables feel “Crunchy” when flexed, they may have corrosion inside the insulation, requiring replacement.

4.Clean the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor.

5.Clean and check the "bullet connectors" going to the coil side of the starter solenoid.

6.Try again to start the bike, keep in mind some Kawasaki’s have a clutch interlock to prevent cranking the engine while it’s in gear, so the clutch lever must be squeezed.

7.If no luck, go to step #8

8.Wearing eye protection, bridge with pliers or a screwdriver the two heavy duty(large)terminals on the solenoid. If the bike cranks, your solenoid may be bad.

9. If the starter won’t turn over, one of several things has happened; The starter motor has seized due to brushes binding up, lack of lubrication in the bushings of the motor, the battery is weak , the engine has seized or it could be a combination of any of the above. A website for starter motors is:

A. www.psep.biz/store/mitsuba_starter_motors_page_2.htm

B. www.nationsautoelectric.com/Kawasaki.html

C. www.whitedogbikes.com/cat--Kawasaki-Star...-Starter-Motors.html

D. www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/starters.php

E. www.dbelectrical.com/

10.The dealer may want $$$ for a new solenoid, but take your old one along and visit the nearest riding lawn mower shop. They have solenoids for about $15 that with a little work will fit. Be aware that the new solenoid from the lawn mower shop may require a ground wire for it to work.

11. I’d recommend upgrading from the existing battery cables to at least 6 gauge welding cables.
They are available in two colors(RED and BLACK) have more flexibility due to being constructed with finer conductors, and will fit in tighter areas.

12. The welding cable is sold by the foot, so take careful measurements or bring your old cables along. Most battery shops might be able to supply the cable too, so call to find out. The battery shop should be able to crimp/swage on the end of the welding cable the terminal ends or lugs using either a dedicated crimping machine or a tool that looks like a bolt cutter that has special dies to terminate the cable.

13. It's possible the clutch interlock switch has failed internally, forcing you to bypass it, Most interlock switch wiring is in the headlight housing, requiring you to carefully remove the headlight from it's installation(housing), to gain access to the wire bundles.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DruKZ550gpz

starting issue... 04 Nov 2014 16:25 #652871

• DruKZ550gpz
  • User
Thank you for the knowledge. I know you probably posted the same info multiple times but the site is not the easiest to use with my pos phone and I don't have a pc at the moment.
I will follow your advice in a day or so and let you know how it turned out and if I still have all my fingers.
David

starting issue... 07 Nov 2014 04:31 #653126

• DruKZ550gpz
  • User
We got it started last night and it runs like a champ!!! There is a ground wire that comes out of a bullet connector right next to the negative side of the battery. The wire going from it to the battery was missing. Replaced it and everything works n bike started right up.
Thank you.
David

• Page: