Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Searching for a "white elephant"... 19 Oct 2014 10:52 #651130

• ShaCvet
  • ShaCvet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
There comes a point where utter confusion and mystification overwhelms a person....
I recently restored my '79 KZ400B with full powder-coat but did not touch the internal engine. First problem I had was the the 35 yr old coil went out and I replaced it with a 7thgeardesigns.com unit making it fully electronic. I took my time to ensure proper installation. Worked great so I took it for a 30 mile ride. The next morning I go to start the bike and just a click (one for each push of the starter button)..strange I tell myself. Maybe the new battery I installed decided to be a dud. So I charged it up came back home after work and to my surprise the same issue arose.
I tried to kick-start it...nothing...I had spark at the plugs, fuel and full compression. I tried to push start it with a friend....nothing. While I was noticing the neutral/oil lights would dim while the bike was moving. Then I would hit the starter button and they would fully light up. Maybe I do have a bad battery...so I decided to buy/install a lithium-iron Shorai battery. Finally got it to kick start and it ran beautifully. Then I go to back it out while running and it instantly cuts out like I hit the off switch. This is where my frustration hit its peak.
I went through my wiring harness and no open wires, all is connected and my ground is on bare metal.

Basically; no starter but solenoid clicks open. (I crossed the solenoid and still no starter engagement), bike cuts out when moved while running, instrument lights dim while moving bike, and its hard as hell to kick start....... :blink:

I am at a loss and have no idea what to do next.

HELP!
1979 KZ400 B2 fully restored and powder coated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Searching for a "white elephant"... 19 Oct 2014 11:31 #651134

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
I had a somewhat similar issue happen to me on my 1000.

I had worked on the stator cover, installing a new rubber grommet and stator. When I reinstalled the stator cover, the wires were not pulled taught inside the cover and the wires were rubbed bare by the mag causing a intermittent short after a day or so of riding.

Sometimes had power, other times not as the bare wires were moving around and either touched and grounded out on the metal mag or not.....really was a head scratcher.

Really don't no if this will help, good luck.

Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

Searching for a "white elephant"... 19 Oct 2014 12:35 #651138

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

So I charged it up came back home after work and to my surprise the same issue arose.

Aytime you can charge up a battery and ride then it "goes dead" after a while, you need to check the charging system. Make sure it is holding the battery at 14V when revving above 3k RPM. If it is not charging, the battery will keep going dead.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Searching for a "white elephant"... 19 Oct 2014 12:56 #651140

• ShaCvet
  • User
I checked the charging system and it holds 14.4v at 3k RPM. Also when I returned the old battery it tested good. I purchased the Shorai for more cranking amps.

Last edit: by ShaCvet.

Searching for a "white elephant"... 19 Oct 2014 19:29 #651183

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, could see if moving the handlebars back and forth has any effect on the problem, as there might be a short in the harness wires near the steering head that's caused by moving the handlebars.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Searching for a "white elephant"... 19 Oct 2014 19:34 #651184

• ShaCvet
  • User
AH HA! So after a breef scare with oil being in the stator, which is normal apperantly :blink: ... I hit the starter button while the starter gear was removed. It starts really slow and no torque. I then removed it and hooked it up to my car battery...spun faster but still very little torque. Need a new starter I believe and the whole time that was the case.... :woohoo:

Anyone know of any new starters or such?

Searching for a "white elephant"... 19 Oct 2014 19:43 #651187

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationMaybe make an offer on a rebuilt one? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Searching for a "white elephant"... 19 Oct 2014 20:43 #651193

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Searching for a "white elephant"... 20 Oct 2014 15:07 #651261

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Need a new starter I believe and the whole time that was the case.... :woohoo:

Not sure about that, you could have disconnected the starter and the faults exhibited - flickering lights, cutting out plus the starter issue points to a wiring problem or battery/frame connection.

To eliminate your starter motor get fully charged car battery and jump leads, go direct to starter motor with jumpers bypassing all the battery, starter relay, earth point, battery leads etc.

B+ to starter motor+ terminal
B- to good earth point on frame

try that, if it cranks ok your problem is the interconnecting wiring. If it doesn't then it is the starter motor. Strip it, check windings resitance and continuity, check and replace bushes and clean up and undercut the commutator segments. It is quite a fun job, just don't use sandpaper n the commutator.

This test only works if you eliminate all the other wiring. by using jump leads direct to the starter motor + terminal and a good frame - earth point, maybe even the starter motor body.

You could get a recon starter and have the same as yet undiagnosed fault. It may be your starter, just run this jump lead test first to make sure.

Have a good look at your battery and engine earth leads, relay to starter connections. Also maybe double check and add another frame earth on your powder coated frame.
Jump leads can be quite a good diagnostic tool if you use them right.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Last edit: by Tyrell Corp.

Searching for a "white elephant"... 20 Oct 2014 19:21 #651297

• ShaCvet
  • User
You make a valid and interesting point! I am going to add a grounding wire to the engine and to a bare metal spot on the frame just to make sure. I did test the starter with my car battery, and it wound up slow but faster than with my new lithium battery. The funny thing and mos confusing thing of it all was that the starter has been working great since the rebuild of the bike. It wasn't till after riding it one evening. The starter clutch is in good shape so I am pretty sure that it did just stick and continue to run.

• Page: