Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz 440 ltd ignition problem 18 Oct 2014 20:01 #651075

• timkz440ltd
  • timkz440ltd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys so I joined the forum to ask about a problem I've been having. So last year I bought 2 kz440s for 800$. The better off the two was running great in the fall until one cylinder stopped firing on a cold day. It was dumping gas through the cylinder so I assumed the float was stuck. So I took apart the carbs and cleaned everything up put it back together and still had the same problem. I then took the coil from the other bike and swapped it over and it seemed to work and both cylinders fired just fine, until a few months later and then it was running off one cylinder at start up but the second cylinder would kick when it got warm and I started riding. Compression is good, carbs are good, plugs are good, battery is new. Just seems odd that bowl coils worked for a little while then started giving me problems. Both coils still do send spark just fine though. Anyone have an idea on what it could be? Thanks for the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz 440 ltd ignition problem 18 Oct 2014 20:36 #651077

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Hello, timkz440ltd, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

If not already done, would suggest assuring valve clearances are within specs, and also perform the clear tube test to determine whether fuel levels are within specs.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

kz 440 ltd ignition problem 19 Oct 2014 00:22 #651092

• 60ratrod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
That's weird, normally coils fire fine cold and drop off when they get hot. Check the condition of the spark with the bike cold. You should be seeing nice fat blue spark. I would also start checking all connections for corrosion.
Active Duty US Navy Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer First Class

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

81 Suzuki gs650g "Shelah"

kz 440 ltd ignition problem 19 Oct 2014 00:43 #651093

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

timkz440ltd wrote: Hey guys so I joined the forum to ask about a problem I've been having. So last year I bought 2 kz440s for 800$. The better off the two was running great in the fall until one cylinder stopped firing on a cold day. It was dumping gas through the cylinder so I assumed the float was stuck. So I took apart the carbs and cleaned everything up put it back together and still had the same problem. I then took the coil from the other bike and swapped it over and it seemed to work and both cylinders fired just fine, until a few months later and then it was running off one cylinder at start up but the second cylinder would kick when it got warm and I started riding. Compression is good, carbs are good, plugs are good, battery is new. Just seems odd that bowl coils worked for a little while then started giving me problems. Both coils still do send spark just fine though. Anyone have an idea on what it could be? Thanks for the help

The single coil on a twin fires both spark plugs in series. Pretty unusual to have one spark firing with no spark on the other. Only happens if the coil has one end of the high voltage shorting to ground either internally or externally as with a plug wire arcing to chassis.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

kz 440 ltd ignition problem 19 Oct 2014 11:05 #651132

• ShaCvet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I own a KZ400 which in a sense is the same bike. I would highly recommend purchasing a electronic ignition for 7thgeardesigns.com. My coil gave me similar issues then finally quit working.
1979 KZ400 B2 fully restored and powder coated.

• Page: