• Page:

TOPIC:

Stator compatability 18 Oct 2014 17:24 #651060

• toyotakzrider
  • toyotakzrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello everyone,

I have an 82 750CSR (Twin) and the stator is shot, it wont hold a load any longer. So I am going to replace the whole charging system while I'm in there. It's all original and the wires are pretty brittle etc etc.

I'm having trouble finding a replacement new single phase stator for the bike. I know at some point on some bikes they went to a 2 or 3? phase stator which put out a little more power and was more efficient etc etc. Does anyone know which part number stator I am looking for that I could replace my stock single phase stator with? I ordered one off ebay that was supposed to be for my bike but it was physically smaller and the hole in the middle was too small and it would not work. Of course the ad claimed it would fit my bike, but of course it didn't.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Eric
82 750CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stator compatability 18 Oct 2014 19:13 #651069

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Stator compatability 18 Oct 2014 19:32 #651071

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Check with the experts, but I don't think you have many options. The KZ750 twin used the same stator from 1976 - 1984. Did you run the tests described in the Kawasaki Service Manual to determine for sure the problem is the stator rather than just the rectifier/regulator? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Stator compatability 18 Oct 2014 23:04 #651086

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

650ed wrote: The KZ750 twin used the same stator from 1976 - 1984. ... Ed

The 76 and 77 had an excited-field, 3-phase system.
After that was a permanent-magnet 1-phase system.
(Indicating the stators have to be different.)
The Kawasaki cross-reference (if it even exists at this time) only lists which fiches have that part number listed, but not necessarily which bikes actually used that part.

Not sure if any 3-phase, permanent-magnet system existed for the 750 twin. And not sure if the earlier 3-phase excited-field system (that's the more efficient system) can easily be swapped to the later years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Stator compatability 19 Oct 2014 05:45 #651099

• toyotakzrider
  • User
I did check with the service manual. I unplugged the stator and started the bike. 70vAC just like it's supposed to be. I plugged it back in, and I'm only getting 14vac at 4k with a load on it. in the manual it doesn't say what the loaded value is. only what the unloaded value is.

With the battery fully charged at 4k rpm I'm only getting 12.5v DC at the battery. At idle I'm getting around 12.25vDC.

I think going from 70vac all the way down to 14vac with a load would indicate that the stator is the problem and not the regulator, although I plan to replace both.

Stator compatability 19 Oct 2014 07:10 #651105

• 650ed
  • User

loudhvx wrote:

650ed wrote: The KZ750 twin used the same stator from 1976 - 1984. ... Ed

The 76 and 77 had an excited-field, 3-phase system.
After that was a permanent-magnet 1-phase system.
(Indicating the stators have to be different.)
The Kawasaki cross-reference (if it even exists at this time) only lists which fiches have that part number listed, but not necessarily which bikes actually used that part.

Not sure if any 3-phase, permanent-magnet system existed for the 750 twin. And not sure if the earlier 3-phase excited-field system (that's the more efficient system) can easily be swapped to the later years.

Thank you for the correction. I used Partzilla as a reference (see image below), but they show inaccurate information. Ed

Attachment 00003b_2014-10-19.jpg not found

Attachments:

Stator compatability 19 Oct 2014 08:57 #651118

• toyotakzrider
  • User
even if no twins actually came with a multi phase system, is there any stators that will physically fit? if there is then they can be made to work.

Stator compatability 19 Oct 2014 13:50 #651144

• 650ed
  • User
There's quite a bit more to it than just swapping the stators. The image below shows 2 different generator configurations for the KZ750 twin. Notice more than just the stators are different. In addition to the differences shown in that image there are differences in the other components of the charging system and the engine cover. Trying to retrofit a stator and the other necessary components from a model other than another KZ750 twin would likely prove even more difficult. So the question to be answered is - what do you expect the improvements to be if you were to go through the effort and were successful in swapping in a different type of charging system? Ed

Attachment 00003a_2014-10-19-2.jpg not found

Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Stator compatability 20 Oct 2014 05:57 #651216

• toyotakzrider
  • User
oh yea, that's a lot of difference. The main question I was asking though, which would be far simpler, was if any of the 3-wire stators will physically fit in place of the stock 2 wire stator....

Stator compatability 20 Oct 2014 09:18 #651229

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

toyotakzrider wrote: oh yea, that's a lot of difference. The main question I was asking though, which would be far simpler, was if any of the 3-wire stators will physically fit in place of the stock 2 wire stator....

That's a good question.

On the KZ650/KZ700/KZ750-4 (not twins) family, you can put a 3-wire (aka 3-phase) stator onto a 2-wire (aka 1-phase) system, as long as both are the spoke-style stator, which are from the permanent-magnet systems. (The early 750 twin, as you can see from Ed's post, is very different because it is an excited-field system.)

Same can be done on the KZ500/KZ550/KZ400-4 (not twins) family. In that case, all are the spoke-style stators, so there is no confusion.

The permanent magnet is the flywheel, so those different families of motors use different size flywheels, so their stators are different physical sizes.

Is there a KZ750 twin with a 3-phase stator from a permanent-magnet system? Maybe Steell will know.

Or, is there a chance the flywheel on the KZ750 twin is the same size as the KZ750-4? If so, then maybe the 3-phase permament-magnet stators from the KZ650/700/750-4 can fit the KZ750 twin.

I guess at this point, you need someone with a spare 750-4 stator lying around who can measure it.

• Page: