Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

starter clicking 78 z1r 06 Oct 2014 15:23 #649864

• dkoz
  • dkoz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
hey guys i think my starters going bad. hears whats going on. i hit the start button and it engages the starter maybe half to one revolution and then the starter (or behind the dynamo cover) starts clicking loudly and no more starter .the clicking is like the battery is dead but its not.
new agm battery test 12.4 volt
new solenoid tests ok
switch in handlebar ohms good
lock out switch ohms good
wire from starter checked for breaks good no crunch contacts clean
ground wires cleaned and securely connected .
starter clutch gear turns clockwise buy hand with no noise and no binding .it will not spin counter clockwise so good..

should i check anything else ? thanks for any help
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

starter clicking 78 z1r 06 Oct 2014 15:29 #649865

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Starter Solenoid/Motor Checkout Procedure

Some simple steps to determine what is working and what's not:

1.Fully charge and test the battery(most bike shops can load test the battery, and then use a floating ball hydrometer to check specific gravity in the charged cells).

2.Clean all battery terminals of corrosion.

3.Tighten all starting related connections(Positive RED(+) battery terminal, Negative BLACK(-)terminal) and from the terminal to the engine case. All connections must be clean and tight. If the cables feel “Crunchy” when flexed, they may have corrosion inside the insulation, requiring replacement.

4.Clean the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor.

5.Clean and check the "bullet connectors" going to the coil side of the starter solenoid.

6.Try again to start the bike, keep in mind some Kawasaki’s have a clutch interlock to prevent cranking the engine while it’s in gear, so the clutch lever must be squeezed.

7.If no luck, go to step #8

8.Wearing eye protection, bridge with pliers or a screwdriver the two heavy duty(large)terminals on the solenoid. If the bike cranks, your solenoid may be bad.

9. If the starter won’t turn over, one of several things has happened; The starter motor has seized due to brushes binding up, lack of lubrication in the bushings of the motor, the battery is weak , the engine has seized or it could be a combination of any of the above. A website for starter motors is:

A. www.psep.biz/store/mitsuba_starter_motors_page_2.htm

B. www.nationsautoelectric.com/Kawasaki.html

C. www.whitedogbikes.com/cat--Kawasaki-Star...-Starter-Motors.html

D. www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/starters.php

E. www.dbelectrical.com/

10.The dealer may want $$$ for a new solenoid, but take your old one along and visit the nearest riding lawn mower shop. They have solenoids for about $15 that with a little work will fit. Be aware that the new solenoid from the lawn mower shop may require a ground wire for it to work.

11. I’d recommend upgrading from the existing battery cables to at least 6 gauge welding cables.
They are available in two colors(RED and BLACK) have more flexibility due to being constructed with finer conductors, and will fit in tighter areas.

12. The welding cable is sold by the foot, so take careful measurements or bring your old cables along. Most battery shops might be able to supply the cable too, so call to find out. The battery shop should be able to crimp/swage on the end of the welding cable the terminal ends or lugs using either a dedicated crimping machine or a tool that looks like a bolt cutter that has special dies to terminate the cable.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Re:starter clicking 78 z1r 06 Oct 2014 15:49 #649868

• dkoz
  • User
Have done this
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

starter clicking 78 z1r 07 Oct 2014 04:04 #649922

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
Sounds like the starter motor wants a good clean out and the brushes are worn and need replacing.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: dkoz

starter clicking 78 z1r 07 Oct 2014 08:07 #649950

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Some more info on starter motor diagnsotics, also read the bit about cleaning and undercutting the motor commutator.

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/595640-no-power-to-starter-motor
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

starter clicking 78 z1r 07 Oct 2014 11:32 #649971

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Note that 12.4V isn't a fully charged AGM battery. But I agree with above that something else may be going on.

starter clicking 78 z1r 19 Oct 2014 14:26 #651147

• dkoz
  • User
Ok I wheeled myself out to the garage this week and went over everything one more time.

The starter clutch gear turns clockwise (BUT)does not spin freely it requires a little bit of twist. The gear on my ltd spins freely.
Looks like a repair kit will be ordered.
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

• Page: