• Page:

TOPIC:

Fixed! 09 Oct 2014 15:51 #650187

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • Grumpy Ole Artist's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
  • Thank you received: 62
I have the new cables hanging out in the shed...made a couple small "funnels" out of the plastic they came in. Small hole sliced in a corner, cable fed through an twist tied. Capfull of clean motor oil in each. Let gravity do it's thing overnight...white lithium grease on the lead ends before install...I think I sprayed wd40 down in them last time and they did not last long....year or two....very dry when I pulled the broken one out of the outer sleeve so I MIGHT have installed them without lube...dumbass! 650 ed recommended this method, so I am rolling with it this time around...."act in haste, repent in leisure" recurring theme in my life! I LOVE GD's "dookie" album...not heard the grouch...will hafta youtube it tomorrow...cheers, mate!
1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fixed! 09 Oct 2014 18:14 #650205

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Another cable-lubing option -- and fast.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grumpy Ole Artist

Fixed! 09 Oct 2014 18:40 #650208

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Grumpy Ole Artist wrote: I have the new cables hanging out in the shed...made a couple small "funnels" out of the plastic they came in. Small hole sliced in a corner, cable fed through an twist tied. Capfull of clean motor oil in each. Let gravity do it's thing overnight...white lithium grease on the lead ends before install...I think I sprayed wd40 down in them last time and they did not last long....year or two....very dry when I pulled the broken one out of the outer sleeve so I MIGHT have installed them without lube...dumbass! 650 ed recommended this method, so I am rolling with it this time around...."act in haste, repent in leisure" recurring theme in my life! I LOVE GD's "dookie" album...not heard the grouch...will hafta youtube it tomorrow...cheers, mate!

This method works for me. I've never had a broken cable on my KZ650. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grumpy Ole Artist

Fixed! 10 Oct 2014 15:15 #650285

• Zephyrrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
GOA forgot to mention every tool kit should have a cable luber. On my second one now.It could be an awful bloody mess otherwise. I do mine more often than you really need to though. Will have to look into that dry wax lube Ed.
."act in haste, repent in leisure" - very familiar ! Now it is slowly and carefully for me - dont like doing the same thing twice.
A year or 2 without lube is not bad - do you ride in all weather ?
Havnt heard Dookie but will have to today. The grouch is a cool song. When i first heard it - yep thats me except for the part about needing little Blue tablets - youll know what i am on about when you hear it.Good beer drinkin' tunes.
Nimrod is name of album - listening to it now but not having a beer - it is 8.30 am here - bit early for me.
Have a good weekend dude ,
ZR.
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Last edit: by Zephyrrider.
  • Page: