• Page:

TOPIC:

Main fuse blows when stopping 03 Oct 2014 05:57 #649508

• gilimanjaro
  • gilimanjaro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey folks!

New to tinkering, but I'm managed so far to replace my clutch cable and repair a worn wire that was causing by bike to turn off when turning.

But now I'm stomped... Shortly after fixing the above-mentioned wire, my bike blew it's main fuse. Funnily enough it turned out to be a 25A fuse instead of the 20A that the service manual lists,

I checked for loose wires that could be shorting, and taped off a few loose ends. Installed the spare fuse, and managed to ride a few kilometers, but the fuse blew again. I managed to scrounge up a bunch of spares, and started troubleshooting, but I'm seriously stomped.

On the middle stand, the bike runs fine. I've wiggled every wire, tilted the bike every way, moved the handle-bars etc and it just keeps going.

But as soon as I take an actual ride, at the very first intersection where I have to stop, as soon as the bike is idling with the clutch in, it switches off and I find the fuse blown.

Any ideas where to start looking or how to trouble-shoot this issue?

It's a 1982 KZ550 that I have big plans for...

Thanks, G.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Main fuse blows when stopping 03 Oct 2014 06:53 #649511

• zero10
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Could you be dealing with a short in the brake light wiring? What happens if you hold the brake while it's on the stand, does it blow the fuse then?

I don't know the wiring on your particular bike but on mine it seems that power to the brake lights is fed through the switches to the bulbs, so if there was a short between the switch and the bulb you'd be having a dead short when you close the brake light switch but no other times. There is probably enough resistance in the stock wiring that it doesn't just instantly blow the fuse so I would imagine you might be able to get to a stop before the fuse blows.

Past that you're probably going to have to dig up a wiring diagram for your bike and start tracing through it.
What wire did you repair already?
-
The following user(s) said Thank You: gilimanjaro

Main fuse blows when stopping 06 Oct 2014 04:20 #649794

• gilimanjaro
  • gilimanjaro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I'll test the brake on the middle stand tonight; it sounds about right!

The wire I repaired was a white one... I was assuming it was the kill-switch, as the bike would turn of when it lost contact, but no fuse would blow.

I never considered that the fuse might hold out for a few seconds and then blow, so I probably didn't test that properly.

Thanks for the tip, and I'll post back with my result!

Main fuse blows when stopping 19 Oct 2014 19:20 #651181

• kzbiker8684
  • User
if not the brake light check the charging sys mine had a short there when i would come from i higher rpm driving and come to a stop the bike would over charge and blow the fuse it ended up blowing the rectifier sorry if i said that wrong but i had to wire in oen off a diff bike and go to blade fuse's after that

Main fuse blows when stopping 20 Oct 2014 05:54 #651215

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621

gilimanjaro wrote: Hey folks!

New to tinkering, but I'm managed so far to replace my clutch cable and repair a worn wire that was causing by bike to turn off when turning.

But now I'm stomped... Shortly after fixing the above-mentioned wire, my bike blew it's main fuse. Funnily enough it turned out to be a 25A fuse instead of the 20A that the service manual lists,..... .

Be sure to install the correct 20A fuse. The po may have used the larger fuse as a band-aid, instead of fixing a problem.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Main fuse blows when stopping 20 Oct 2014 08:37 #651227

• 60ratrod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I agree with the brake light/light switch theory. With It running on the center stand, did you run it through the gears or just leave it idling?
Active Duty US Navy Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer First Class

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

81 Suzuki gs650g "Shelah"

• Page: