Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

84 gpz550 spark problem 21 Sep 2014 18:10 #648311

• jfarhanbod
  • jfarhanbod's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, so I finally got spark. It ended up being that I needed to ground the brown/white wire from the igniter. The bike started a couple days ago but now it won't start at all. The green wire on the coil works and will get either coil packs to spark but the black wire won't on either. I checked the pickups by swapping the wires from left to right and still only the coil with the green wire is working. I tried 2 different igniters and still the same. The weirdest thing is that right now it will sometimes spark once on the coil with the black wire but then not again. Any idea what it sounds like it could be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

84 gpz550 spark problem 22 Sep 2014 17:15 #648392

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
The weirdest thing is that right now it will sometimes spark once on the coil with the black wire but then not again

Coils do that - it is when the power is turned off they spark.

The green wire is your live feed, the black wire goes to ground controlled by the ignitor box.

Electromagnet (coil)charges up and builds magnetic field around it (stored energy) then power is cut, magnetic field collapses and is induced into the secondary windings, like a transformer...hence a transformer only works with AC current.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: