• Page:

TOPIC:

Kz550 wiring question 19 Sep 2014 14:41 #648091

• nickleo373
  • nickleo373's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
Hey everyone
I found one of my wires leading from the r/r was burned almost all the way up the wiring harness. At the beginning of the bad wire I found clear blue electrical tape covering solder which connects one wire directly into 4 wires. This doesnt appear to be correct to me but Im no electrictrician. Can someone tell me if it's supposed to look like this or if a PO made a really bad repair on it?
1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by nickleo373.

Kz550 wiring question 19 Sep 2014 18:54 #648109

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Looks like the factory splice in the harness, for the ground/ negative circuit. Black with a yellow trace is ground/ -
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Kz550 wiring question 20 Sep 2014 07:01 #648149

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes, that looks like it could be a factory splice.

But if you are tracing a burnt black/yellow wire, that means something probably shorted out. Since the wire acted like a fuse, the positive side of the short had to be somewhere that isn't fused on the positive side. It usually means the battery positive hit the frame, or maybe the starter solenoid posts touched the frame. Also, a reg/rec can short out and cause this type of damage.

Kz550 wiring question 20 Sep 2014 13:16 #648192

• nickleo373
  • User
Thanks for the replies. Im crimping new wire to replace it now. The wire fried into the connector that attaches to the r/r. Is there a way to unpin the wire from the connector to completely replace it?
1981 KZ550C LTD

Kz550 wiring question 20 Sep 2014 15:42 #648199

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Use a terminal pin extractor tool thru the front of the connector to depress the tab on the terminal, then pull the wire & terminal out of the connector. The tool looks like a real small flat blade screwdriver ---- a paper clip might work to release the tab. The little tab can snag the connector, so you may have to push the wire into the connector first, then depress the tab & pull the wire out.

CycleTerminal.com has some good photos -->> connectors -->> Yazaki 250 -->> then scroll down.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Kz550 wiring question 22 Sep 2014 14:12 #648364

• nickleo373
  • User
Thanks. I've been trying to find the tab to release it for 3 days now and still cant figure it out. The wire is so bad that it will rip if I pull too hard. I checked the website in the last post but it doesn't have any descriptions of the different parts. Does anyone have a picture of what the tab looks like that will let the wire out?
1981 KZ550C LTD

Kz550 wiring question 22 Sep 2014 14:35 #648369

• martin_csr
  • User

CycleTerminal.com has some good photos -->> connectors -->> Yazaki 250 -->> then scroll down.

Look inside the connector on the terminal pin side (not the wire side) --- there should be small square cutouts where you're supposed to insert the tool. The CycleTerminal Yakazi 250 page has connector drawings showing the cutouts on the male half of the connectors.

The tab can grip the plastic connector, so you may have to push the wire into the connector, then depress the tab & then pull the wire out while still depressing the tab. The extractor tool makes the job easy. CycleTerminal sells a nice set.

Kz550 wiring question 22 Sep 2014 14:58 #648375

• nickleo373
  • User
Thanks. Would this be the tab in the picture?
1981 KZ550C LTD
Attachments:

Kz550 wiring question 22 Sep 2014 18:14 #648405

• martin_csr
  • User
Yes. The little tabs are what keep the terminal pins from pulling out of the plastic connectors whenever you disconnect a component from the wire harness.

An alternate way to remove the terminals is to depress the tab, then use a flat blade screwdriver to push the terminal out of the connector (instead of pulling on the wire). A small paper clip may not be the best tool. A carpenter's scratch awl might work.

Kz550 wiring question 08 Oct 2014 16:29 #650105

• nickleo373
  • User
I couldn't take the individual wire out with any tools I had laying around the house so I'm going to order one from that website. In the meantime, I had to cut back most of the old wire to the point where it will not crimp and be difficult to solder. Would soldering a new wire directly onto the original factory splice work the same as the original ground wire would have?
1981 KZ550C LTD

• Page: