Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kawasaki kz1000 M1 wiring getting hot 16 Sep 2014 12:52 #647791

• stevie g
  • stevie g's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys, thanks again for finding me the wiring diagram, now my next question: OK I've spent a lot of time and money getting my M1 into a reasonable bike, having imported from the USA a lot of parts for it. Anyway, I had to buy a good used wiring harness, all good, all electrics working, BUT..... When I run it the 4 wires from the generator get hot where I've had to join them with the new loom. I used these crimp type connections and I'm wondering if I should have soldered them instead as that is where they seem to be getting hot compared with further up or down from that area. Have I made a rookie mistake ? thanks to all replies, Stevie. :blush: PS what have you guys done to join up a loom if/when you have renewed ?
stephen g mackay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by stevie g. Reason: forgot to add question

kawasaki kz1000 M1 wiring getting hot 16 Sep 2014 16:02 #647808

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
What type of connectors/terminals did you use & what crimping tool?
I use open barrel terminals (properly sized for the wire) & an open barrel ratcheting crimper to get good quality crimps --- they're very strong, so I guess a strong crimp = a good electrical connection. They sure look good when you're done. CycleTerminal.com --- crimping tips n stuff

CycleTerminal.com --- connectors

Last edit: by martin_csr.

kawasaki kz1000 M1 wiring getting hot 17 Sep 2014 11:48 #647859

• stevie g
  • stevie g's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Martin, in the end I took off all the connections and soldered it all together. Seems all OK now. Hopefully I won't be pulling the engine anytime soon.
stephen g mackay

• Page: