Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

kz550 charging problem 11 Sep 2014 21:43 #647193

• nickleo373
  • nickleo373's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
I found a few Ninja reg/recs on ebay. They appear to have the exact opposite connector than the one on the KZ550. My electrical skills are lacking to say the least so you know of any other bikes that will be able to plug directly into the 550 connection?
1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz550 charging problem 12 Sep 2014 05:47 #647221

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
New aftermarket voltage regulators are listed on eebbaayy.
There's one by RaceTech that's about $60 shipped.

Changing out the terminal pins & connector isn't that big of a deal --- it's pretty easy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickleo373

Last edit: by martin_csr.

kz550 charging problem 12 Sep 2014 06:21 #647228

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Your problem sounds just like a bad connection between the Stator and the R/R or R/R to battery.
On the 550 I had in the past, the 4 way connection on the right side of the bike behind the side cover, down near the swing arm pivot, was cooked. Replaced this and cut the wire back about 2" on each side to get to good wire that had not been heated. Cured the charging issue with out any other new parts. Got more voltage to the ignition also, which cleaned up the plugs and the bike ran much better.
Good Luck.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickleo373, Sturmeyhack

kz550 charging problem 12 Sep 2014 10:16 #647259

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Like Motorhead pointed out, if your multi-connector looks discolored, or even melted, you are going to want to replace that wiring anyway (cut back the wire to where it's good), so the opposite connector on the Ninja reg/rec won't be an issue. You can try that first, like he says, there is a decent chance that is the problem if the wire looks burned there.

I usually use single spade connectors, sometimes exclusively, or sometimes I use single spade connectors to mate with the multi-connector on the other end.

Like Martin said, the important thing is to get the right tools for the job.

Even though it's made in China, it should last you a lifetime.
www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html
I usually boost the crimp force one notch on the adjuster dial.

I have a buddy that says this wire stripper is good.
www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-self-ad...-stripper-36810.html

This is the one I use, but it's not cheap. It has paid for itself many times over. When I go to someone else's house to help them wire something, and they have the antiquated (usually rusty) strippers, it's like digging a grave with a spoon.
www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-3045?g...97-0BA7-4A699DFE4E03
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickleo373

Last edit: by loudhvx.

kz550 charging problem 12 Sep 2014 12:25 #647272

• nickleo373
  • User
None of the connectors appear to be melted. It is slightly discolored but no more than all the other old plastic connections on the bike. I went to take the bike out today and tried to start it and it wouldn't crank over. I tested the voltage on the battery and it was at 10.2 volts. Somehow it lost 2 volts overnight. I put it back on the charger and it only charged back to 12.2 volts which was barely enough to make the bike run. I got it going now but it is misfiring at ticking so I shut it down. Money is tight at the moment so I think I'll put it away for a while until I have more time to tear it apart again and go through it.
1981 KZ550C LTD

kz550 charging problem 12 Sep 2014 20:19 #647318

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
You have a bad battery. If it will only charge to 12.2v then it is bad. You can make sure the electrolyte level is correct, but sounds toast to me.
The wiring connections: you really need to check for a difference in voltage across the connector. Measure each side and find if the voltage drops, if so the connection is bad. It has resistance, will build heat and end up continuing to build heat and eventually melt. You need good positive clean connections. Test for a voltage drop across those points.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

kz550 charging problem 13 Sep 2014 11:21 #647365

• nickleo373
  • User
The electrolyte levels were all topped off a week ago with distilled water. The bike seems to be going through an acid battery from z1 enterprises every season. Not sure if the quality of the battery just isnt great or if theres something else going on. I found a really cheap r/r on ebay from an 04 ninja so Ill try and figure out a way to swap out the connectors and install it.
1981 KZ550C LTD

kz550 charging problem 14 Sep 2014 11:19 #647483

• nickleo373
  • User
I may have accidently ordered the wrong regulator. The KZ550 i have came with a wire leading from the r/r to the positive battery terminal. I accidently purchased a ninia 250 r/r without that wire. Does anybody know what the purpose of it is?
1981 KZ550C LTD

kz550 charging problem 14 Sep 2014 21:46 #647567

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

nickleo373 wrote: I may have accidently ordered the wrong regulator. The KZ550 i have came with a wire leading from the r/r to the positive battery terminal. I accidently purchased a ninia 250 r/r without that wire. Does anybody know what the purpose of it is?

I don't think it's possible to get an 04 Ninja reg/rec that doesn't have an output wire to the battery. It will work. It should have 3 yellow wires, 1 brown wire, 1 black wire, and 1 white or red wire.

Do you have a link to what you bought?

Last edit: by loudhvx.

kz550 charging problem 15 Sep 2014 05:03 #647579

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
He probably isn't aware that the EX250 power wire is routed thru the Ninja connector. :)
Searching eebbaayy for EX250 voltage regulator, it is the same as the Ninja 500 R/R which is what I installed. I kept the power wire routed there & added a short section of wire to complete the connection & zip tied the new wire to secure it.

NOS fuel level switch (27010-1096) = 1.2 k ohms -->> 1.22 k @ 88o & 1.28 k @ 76o, so the resistance goes down the warmer it gets.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

kz550 charging problem 15 Sep 2014 10:06 #647627

• nickleo373
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration
I couldn't find the exact one I bought, but this looks the same. As martin_csr said, the extra wire may be in the connector. I just saw the extra wire coming from my KZ550 and figured I made a mistake
1981 KZ550C LTD

kz550 charging problem 17 Sep 2014 16:33 #647875

• nickleo373
  • User
After further disassembly of the bike, I noticed this burnt connector which attached a wire from the r/r leading into the wiring harness. Only the connector looks burnt. The wire does not appear melted at all. Can this just be cleaned out and reconnected or is there more that I have to do to make it work?
1981 KZ550C LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by nickleo373.
  • Page: