Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 08 Sep 2014 23:41 #646797

• skooterbum4real
  • skooterbum4real's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI should have asked all my questions before purchasing any parts. But again I didn't, so here I go again.....LOL

I'm asking about two bikes......

First bike, 1980 kz750h1. I purchased these replacement coils.....

And I purchased these wires.....

My question about this setup for this bike is, do I need to ad a set of resistor caps to the works ?? Or will the suppression wires be all I need ??

Second bike, 1978 kz650b2...I hope to run the same replacement plug wires as listed above for the 750, on the 650. I'll probably be getting replacement coils for this 650 as well. Will I need to ad resistor caps to the 650 too ??

Thanks !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by skooterbum4real. Reason: wrong info

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 09 Sep 2014 08:31 #646835

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices
What came with the bike were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in stop and go traffic, and the coils will fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com. I believe "Emgo" is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:
1. Copper plug wires with no supression caps(the best choice, will produce greater spark, but will produce audio noise on Radio's & T.V.'s)

2. Copper plug wires with supression caps(a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can some times fail, like what came with the bike).

3. Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the "R" in the plug number, like B8RES).

4. Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs and supression caps or supression plug wires, as now there will be two (2) sources of resistance in the secondary loop of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar primary(small wire) electrical connection using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers will come really close, possibly causing an electrical short, blowing fuses. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with Nylon or Plastic non conductive ones, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: skooterbum4real

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 09 Sep 2014 11:28 #646865

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
KZ750-H1. My bike has the same ignition system as the 750H models. I installed the green Dyna 3.0 ohm coils & Dyna spark plug wire set (7mm copper core). The spark plug caps in the set are 135o, but I would prefer 90o for the outer cylinders. Dyna says to mount the coils facing forward but mine are towards the rear as that seemed to give better clearance for the plug wire towers from the valve cover reed caps.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 09 Sep 2014 11:39 #646868

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
KZ650-B2. Does the 650 still have the points ignition system? If so, I think you need 4.0 ohm coiils. The Emgos are listed as temporarily out of stock at Z1Enterprises.com, but if you can find them elsewhere, others say they are fine. I don't know if you have to worry about the resister caps n stuff or not.

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 09 Sep 2014 13:12 #646883

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Yea the 650 is bone stock. I'm sure it still has the points system. I forgot about that. I've heard about people converting the old point systems to the electronic, but I'm not familiar with the process. I think I will sit on that one for now, until I get the 750 running better.

So if I understand the posts correctly, I do not want to use any kind of suppression plugs or caps on the 750 with the suppression wires that I've got for it.

Thanks for all the posts !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 09 Sep 2014 13:47 #646892

• MFolks
  • User
I understand the resistors in the sparkplug caps, reduce the RFI(Radio Frequency Interference) when the spark plugs fire., the noise heard on radio's and TV's.
1982 GPZ1100 B2

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 09 Sep 2014 14:16 #646900

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Electronics has never been one of my strong points, so don't fall out of your chairs laughing while reading this.....

Why are there concerns about TV and radio interference with these old bikes ?? I've never seen one running down the road with a TV playing, and there are few, if any that came stock with radios, that I'm aware of. Or does this mean, that these bikes could interfere with these electronic devices in peoples homes, that we are passing while running down the road ??

I just don't get it ??
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Last edit: by skooterbum4real. Reason: more info

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 09 Sep 2014 18:03 #646924

• MFolks
  • User
No, it's noise on people's homes that they'd here on the radio when you went down their street & possibly see on the TV screens as interference.
1982 GPZ1100 B2

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 09 Sep 2014 18:09 #646928

• skooterbum4real
  • User
OK, so it's more of a courtesy thing, rather than a performance thing......I think I understand it a bit better now.
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Spark plug wire's & caps questions 18 Sep 2014 16:35 #648008

• 79shaft
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The signal generated by the firing of the plug will also be picked up by any solid state electronics nearby, (like your ignition control box, voltage regulator etc) with possible detrimental effects, also, I have had a fear of stopping next to a cop at a stop light who is talking on his radio and getting a ticket. That has not happened yet but who knows!

• Page: