• Page:

TOPIC:

Won't turn over no sounds 25 Aug 2014 19:53 #645151

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Starter Solenoid/Motor Checkout Procedure

Some simple steps to determine what is working and what's not:

1.Fully charge and test the battery(most bike shops can load test the battery, and then use a floating ball hydrometer to check specific gravity in the charged cells).

2.Clean all battery terminals of corrosion.

3.Tighten all starting related connections(Positive RED(+) battery terminal, Negative BLACK(-)terminal) and from the terminal to the engine case. All connections must be clean and tight. If the cables feel “Crunchy” when flexed, they may have corrosion inside the insulation, requiring replacement.

4.Clean the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor.

5.Clean and check the "bullet connectors" going to the coil side of the starter solenoid.

6.Try again to start the bike, keep in mind some Kawasaki’s have a clutch interlock to prevent cranking the engine while it’s in gear, so the clutch lever must be squeezed.

7.If no luck, go to step #8

8.Wearing eye protection, bridge with pliers or a screwdriver the two heavy duty(large)terminals on the solenoid. If the bike cranks, your solenoid may be bad.

9. If the starter won’t turn over, one of several things has happened; The starter motor has seized due to brushes binding up, lack of lubrication in the bushings of the motor, the battery is weak , the engine has seized or it could be a combination of any of the above. A website for starter motors is:

A. www.psep.biz/store/mitsuba_starter_motors_page_2.htm

B. www.nationsautoelectric.com/Kawasaki.html

C. www.whitedogbikes.com/cat--Kawasaki-Star...-Starter-Motors.html

D. www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/starters.php

E. www.dbelectrical.com/

10.The dealer may want $$$ for a new solenoid, but take your old one along and visit the nearest riding lawn mower shop. They have solenoids for about $15 that with a little work will fit. Be aware that the new solenoid from the lawn mower shop may require a ground wire for it to work.

11. I’d recommend upgrading from the existing battery cables to at least 6 gauge welding cables.
They are available in two colors(RED and BLACK) have more flexibility due to being constructed with finer conductors, and will fit in tighter areas.

12. The welding cable is sold by the foot, so take careful measurements or bring your old cables along. Most battery shops might be able to supply the cable too, so call to find out. The battery shop should be able to crimp/swage on the end of the welding cable the terminal ends or lugs using either a dedicated crimping machine or a tool that looks like a bolt cutter that has special dies to terminate the cable.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Won't turn over no sounds 25 Aug 2014 20:06 #645153

• Alijaj805
  • Alijaj805's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh wow lol I couldn't get back. To the bike today ima get back to it tomorrow after class. I will be trying all of these thank you so much for the info I will be posting right after I do all this and try it all.you guys are awesome . Btw this is how the bike sits right now
Attachments:

Won't turn over no sounds 26 Aug 2014 05:04 #645183

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621

650ed wrote: .... Sometimes the filament inside the tube is perfectly fine and not burned,
but one end of the filament will break free from the end cap due to vibration and age.
When this happens the fuse looks perfect even though it will not conduct electricity. ...

Thanks. I'd wondered how a fuse could look fine but be bad --- never really gave it much thought
but now I know. :)

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Won't turn over no sounds 26 Aug 2014 12:08 #645247

• Alijaj805
  • User
Alright guys I just took off all grounds and pos connections clean and reconnected changed all fuses on the bike still no start. I had got to your step 8 and bridged the pos and neg the starter started to turn over. So I ordered in a solenoid is there any way I could get it to run without the solenoid?

Won't turn over no sounds 26 Aug 2014 12:19 #645250

• Alijaj805
  • User
Alright guys I just jumped the solinoid withy the two small wires to the bat directly. And it is switching the power over as It should so I'm guessing its the start button cause I jumped the clutch switch and the start button still doesn't do anything

Won't turn over no sounds 26 Aug 2014 13:29 #645263

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
I'd open up the right handlebar switch "Pod", looking for broken, dirty, or just failed solder joints. A lot of the older Kawasaki's are starting to have this problem. If you need a repair procedure, just ask, as I've got one written up.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Won't turn over no sounds 26 Aug 2014 18:18 #645294

• Alijaj805
  • User
Sadly that is what happen I bypassed the kstartswitch and put a temp switch in till winder where I will straighten it out and solder in new wires. But the bike is running and the solinoid works fine bike runs I got so excited just need to get carbs cleaned and synced this winter for the next season till then ima ride it as is. Thank you for all the help guys I greatly appreciate it.

Won't turn over no sounds 12 Oct 2016 20:47 #745093

• D.J.1941
  • User
Hi, just posted a question similar to the one discussed here as a new member on this site could you read my post and advise I need some serious Obiwan as I hate throwing money at this bike and want to sell it. 1981 KZ 550

• Page: