• Page:

TOPIC:

A bit of info for a newbie 28 Jul 2014 00:19 #641703

• SimonGT550
  • SimonGT550's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
I've just started to pull my bike apart and I thought I should ask all the knowledgeable folks here some questions before I go and break something. I just want to ask if anyone can fill me in on the function of some of the parts of the left handlebar control unit. Picture attached.
I understand that the green orange and grey wires are the indicators but what are the red and blue wires seemingly connected to the same unit? Also there's an earth cable attached there that I don't quite get the function of.
Also what is the large device in the centre with the white and green cable attached?
A lot of questions I know but I don't want to screw something up if I decide to replace this unit with a simpler one and leave something out.
1985 KZ550GT
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A bit of info for a newbie 28 Jul 2014 08:19 #641727

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
  • Thank you received: 62
Too late now, but all of those wires you hacked have inline connectors a little bit downstream that could have been simply unplugged...gonna be a "splice fest" putting it all back together...a lot more potential for problems.
1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

A bit of info for a newbie 28 Jul 2014 09:44 #641737

• LineArtist
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
I don't understand the reason for cutting those wires like that in the first place, BUT.... since you have gone that far and are doing a bike project, go on eBay and find the factory service manual for your bike. It will contain all the information and wiring diagrams to help you understand it now and when it goes back together. I just scored a mint service manual for $20 recently, they average around $50 in all sorts of conditions.

headlight high-beam switch
turn signal switch
horn button
hazard lights (all 4 signals)

All these switches serve a valuable function, hazards aren't common these days but serve a great purpose. And the high-beam switch will come in handy that 1 time you are driving in the rain at night and the low bulb burns out (the day will come).

Also before removing wiring you can use your multimeter to run a simple juice test to determine what wire goes where and then label each wire with tape before setting it off to the project storage boxes.

...just my 79 cents
'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

A bit of info for a newbie 28 Jul 2014 09:56 #641738

• LineArtist
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
PS, welcome aboard. please fill out your bike information in the profile footer (something like I have). So that when you ask a question we know what motorcycle you are talking about.

What year and model is your project bike?
'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

A bit of info for a newbie 28 Jul 2014 11:50 #641749

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Inquiring minds want to know - why did you chop off the control wires? :blink: :( Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

A bit of info for a newbie 28 Jul 2014 15:11 #641772

• SimonGT550
  • SimonGT550's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think I was just very eager to get the bike apart. Young and stupid really.
None the less all the cables are connected back up but this bike has already been hacked up a fair bit so I may take the time to re wire it properly. There is crap going everywhere.
Thanks for the info guys,
1985 KZ550GT

• Page: