Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Only 2 and 3 fire 27 Jul 2014 15:29 #641644

• cjcrug
  • cjcrug's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Just picked up a 1980 kz750 ltd. It will only fire on cyls 2 and 3. Ive switched coils and pick up leads to no avail. Can the ic ignitor malfunction and fire only two coils?
79 KZ 1000 B3 LTD
Wiseco 1105
Kerker 4 into 1
Dyna s ignition
Dyna green coils
K and n pods
Andrews 2x cams

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Only 2 and 3 fire 27 Jul 2014 16:49 #641657

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
I'd replace all four sparkplug caps, as they go bad, having a 5000 ohm, non replaceable resistor. Do you have good input voltage to the ignition coils?

Testing Kawasaki and other brands of Motorcycle Ignition Coils For Input Voltage:

When voltage testing Kawasaki and other brands of Ignition Coils, the following needs to be done:

1. Remove the fuel/gas tank to access the coils.

2. Fully charge the battery.

3. Using a multimeter, set it up for VDC(Volts, Direct Current), range of 20.

4. Turn on the ignition switch and the run/stop switch to “Run”.

5. Put the multimeter’s RED probe on where the red or red/yellow wire goes on the ignition coil.

6. Put the multimeter’s BLACK probe on either the battery Negative(-) post/terminal or a good frame ground.

7. You should be able to see battery voltage at the ignition coil connection, but this depends on the current draw of other items in the same circuit.

8. If the tested voltage is down to 8-9 volts, you probably need to clean the many and various electrical connectors.

9. To check the spark output at the sparkplugs, use Ignition Spark Testers. Instead of grounding the sparkplug with the sparkplug wire attached, looking for a spark. This method puts the IC Igniter and ignition coils at risk of failure due to high currents, and possible internal shorting.

These bikes have a 5000 ohm, non-replaceable resistor in the sparkplug caps. They go bad from heat, vibration and age. New ones are available at most Japanese motorcycle stores, or through Z1 Enterprises, Inc. - Specializing in Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Parts, including New Old Stock & aftermarket parts. www.z1enterprises.com is their website.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Only 2 and 3 fire 27 Jul 2014 16:59 #641660

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Here's something I copied from Loudhvx, about troubleshooting the Igniter:

Help With Igniter

I still have the rough HEI prototype in my bike. It's working fine after a few thousand miles. Actually it seems better than the stock ignitor. The HEI modules have a better input filter and better output characteristics. The stock ignitor sometimes gets false triggers that cause an occasional missfire at idle, nothing major, you'd probably never notice it until you directly compare it with one that doesn't misfire.

Your next step is to swap the pickup wires to determine if the loss is in the ignitor or the pickups. It's very important to swap the right wires here. Swap yellow with black. And swap red with blue. (Use jumpers so you don't lose the orientation of the connector. In other words don't actually take the wires out of the connectors.) See if this changes where the spark is. If the spark moves to the other coil, then it is the pickup (or it's wiring) that is bad. If the spark stays on the same coil, then it's the ignitor.

The black and blue pickup wires are for one pickup, and red and yellow are for another. Just ohm out the pairs. They should be around 450 ohms. Wiggle the wires and the pickups to see if you ever lose continuity on the pickups. (Obviously the pickup connector needs to be disconnected from the ignitor.)

In your case, it will be the red and yellow wire that are suspect (if it's not the ignitor). They control #2 and #3 cylinders. If you lose continuity determine if its a wire or the pickup itself. Check any point where the wiring is bent. Look for bumps in the insulation and wiggle them while the ohm meter is connected. If the ohm meter moves, pull on the wire to see if you can stretch the bump. This indicates the wire may be broken inside the insulation. When the wire breaks internally and the insulation is in tact, it creates a small bump in the wire. If the wires look fine, with no bumps, and no losses in continuity, it's most likely the pickup itself. To be sure you need to get two really small, sharp pins. Sewing needles are too think. The pins that come on new dress shirts work good. Insert them into the wire insulation right where the wires go into the pickups. One for red, and one for yellow. Then connect the ohm meter to the pins. If you have no continuity, the pickup is bad. Luckily pickups are cheap.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Only 2 and 3 fire 28 Jul 2014 00:40 #641706

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks Mfolks, for posting that.

cjcrug wrote: Just picked up a 1980 kz750 ltd. It will only fire on cyls 2 and 3. Ive switched coils and pick up leads to no avail. Can the ic ignitor malfunction and fire only two coils?

Yes.
Can you specify what you did on swapping coils and pickup leads and what the result was?
If you swap the green wire and black wire on the coils, and on the pickups swap red with blue, and black with yellow, the bike should be able to run if all is working.
Did 1 and 4 continue to work, and 2 and 3 continue to not work?
If yes, then the igniter is most likely the problem, as long as there isn't a broken wire (specifically the green coil wire or red and yellow pickup wires).

My signature has a link to building a brand new one. It's cheap and pretty easy.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Only 2 and 3 fire 28 Jul 2014 11:02 #641744

• cjcrug
  • User
Thanks for the info. When I swaped coils the 1/4 coil did work.. so both coils r good. When I swaped pickup leads it made no difference. So thats why I was asking about ignitor.. I didnot swap plug wires though I will try that tonight. Thanks again mfolks
79 KZ 1000 B3 LTD
Wiseco 1105
Kerker 4 into 1
Dyna s ignition
Dyna green coils
K and n pods
Andrews 2x cams

Only 2 and 3 fire 28 Jul 2014 11:05 #641745

• cjcrug
  • User
As far as what I did I simply pluged 1/4 coil into 2/4 leads. And I just swapped pickup wires
79 KZ 1000 B3 LTD
Wiseco 1105
Kerker 4 into 1
Dyna s ignition
Dyna green coils
K and n pods
Andrews 2x cams

Only 2 and 3 fire 28 Jul 2014 12:02 #641753

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

cjcrug wrote: As far as what I did I simply pluged 1/4 coil into 2/4 leads. And I just swapped pickup wires

But there are 4 pickup wires. How did you know which ones to swap, and how to get the polarity correct?

Either way, you can just build the igniter or buy one and try it, I guess.

• Page: