Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 Kz1100 Weak start 24 Jul 2014 20:58 #641320

• Hotrod624
  • Hotrod624's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok the bike has a really weak start, I've replaced the starter, solenoid, Battery and the positive and ground wires to the starter. The solenoid is grounded to the battery directly. The starter has a good ground as well. I don't know what else it could be, Please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 Kz1100 Weak start 27 Jul 2014 16:10 #641649

• Hotrod624
  • Hotrod624's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anybody have any idea's???

1983 Kz1100 Weak start 27 Jul 2014 16:45 #641656

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Did you test the starter outside the engine? How's the brushes look? Commutator(the part the brushes touch), worn down? I'd have a local electrical motor shop(the one that rebuilds car starter motors, look at it.

Also, read this, as I think some parts are worn, binding up the starter motor:
Over Running Starter Clutch Repair On the Older, Bigger 4’S

1. When preparing to repair the starter over running clutch have a few items on hand:

A. New alternator cover gasket.
B. New springs (3).
C. New spring caps (3).
D. New rollers (3).

2. If possible, put the motorcycle on the center stand and tilt to the right to reduce the oil volume in the alternator cover.

3. Place an oil catch pan under the left side of the engine to collect what small amount of oil that will escape when the alternator cover is removed.

4. Remove the foot shifter lever, left foot peg assembly and the sprocket cover.

5. Some Kawasaki’s have socket head cap screws(Allen type) and others may have fasteners with a Phillips type. If the latter is there, a # 3 bit seems to work the best for removal.

6. Remove the alternator cover and take care with the three wires coming from the alternator stator. These are the voltage supply wires for the motorcycle. Rest the cover on some newspaper or rags to prevent damage.

7. The magnetic Rotor or flywheel will probably require a removal bolt or puller. NOTE, SOME ENGINES HAVE LEFT HAND THREADS ON THE ROTOR!!

8. The over running clutch is bolted to the back of the rotor with three Allen head fasteners.

9. Separate the rotor from the over running clutch and inspect for damage in the springs, rollers, and spring caps. Replace any worn parts.

10. Re-assemble in reverse order taking care when re-installing the Alternator cover not to pinch any wires. If the cover will not re-install without force, check before any damage occurs.

11.One caution. These tend to get the skips and have difficulty with the one way clutch on the starter holding once they have been taken apart if the old parts are reused. They may not look that worn, but as a matter of course I would replace the entire part # 13193-1006 and part # 92026-112.

12.Also, if you presently have a follow-on rattle or growl once the bike has started take a good look at the starter motor gear, Part # 21167-002, and the pin on which it rotates. That gear and pin tends to wear the center bearing surface after only thirty or so years and then cocks under load and puts the starter clutch assembly in a bind causing it to skip or rattle. One problem looks like the other.

13.Use assembly lube when putting the starter gear back together with the pin.

14. Read this procedure from Red Line Cycle:
redlinecycle.com/Starter%20Clutch%20Tech.html
(It may show a blank page, but information is there).

15. A video on how to do this repair:
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

1983 Kz1100 Weak start 27 Jul 2014 17:28 #641664

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

Hotrod624 wrote: Ok the bike has a really weak start, I've replaced the starter, solenoid, Battery and the positive and ground wires to the starter. The solenoid is grounded to the battery directly. The starter has a good ground as well. I don't know what else it could be, Please help.

Battery cables. The Negative cable goes from the battery to the engine block. The Positive has two sections, one from the battery to the starter solenoid, and the second from the solenoid to the starter motor. Also the starter motor where it bolts down to the engine case is a ground. These are the high amperage cables/ connections that will effect current to the starter.
Check your cables for voltage drop when operating the starter, also check what voltage your battery has while cranking.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Page: