Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

76 kz750 twin spark issues 20 Jul 2014 15:28 #640715

• hcsxc5
  • hcsxc5's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I just recently bought a 76 kz750, and I got it without spark. The previous owner cut off the original tail light and replaced it with a LED tail/brake light. He took off the turn signals and replaced the headlight with a smaller sealed beam unit. I've been reading that if the turn signal wires aren't grounded then it will lose spark. So I grounded all the turn signal wires to the frame and then the main fuse blows. What can I do to remedy this?

Thanks in advance,
Harrison

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

76 kz750 twin spark issues 20 Jul 2014 16:01 #640717

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Turn signals and spark production are separate circuits. Here's a listing of what colors to look for:

Color Codes On Most Kawasaki’s (written for 1980’s bikes)

HEADLIGHT
RED with BLACK stripe, High Beam.
RED with YELLOW stripe, Low Beam.
BLACK with YELLOW stripe, the ground circuit.

BRAKE/TAIL LIGHT Can be an # 1157 dual filament bulb
RED, Running or Tail Light.
BLUE,(sometimes with a Red stripe) Brake Light Circuit.

LEFT FRONT TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1157 dual filament bulb
GREEN, Left front turn signal circuit.
BLUE, Left front running light circuit.

RIGHT FRONT TURN SIGNAL Can be an # 1157 dual filament bulb
GREY, Right front turn signal circuit.
BLUE, Right front running light circuit.

LEFT REAR TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1156 single filament bulb
GREEN, Left rear turn signal circuit.

RIGHT REAR TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1156 single filament bulb
GREY, Right rear turn signal circuit.

And how to check the ignition coils for input power:
Testing Kawasaki and other brands of Motorcycle Ignition Coils For Input Voltage:

When voltage testing Kawasaki and other brands of Ignition Coils, the following needs to be done:

1. Remove the fuel/gas tank to access the coils.

2. Fully charge the battery.

3. Using a multimeter, set it up for VDC(Volts, Direct Current), range of 20.

4. Turn on the ignition switch and the run/stop switch to “Run”.

5. Put the multimeter’s RED probe on where the red or red/yellow wire goes on the ignition coil.

6. Put the multimeter’s BLACK probe on either the battery Negative(-) post/terminal or a good frame ground.

7. You should be able to see battery voltage at the ignition coil connection, but this depends on the current draw of other items in the same circuit.

8. If the tested voltage is down to 8-9 volts, you probably need to clean the many and various electrical connectors.

9. To check the spark output at the sparkplugs, use Ignition Spark Testers. Instead of grounding the sparkplug with the sparkplug wire attached, looking for a spark. This method puts the IC Igniter and ignition coils at risk of failure due to high currents, and possible internal shorting.

These bikes have a 5000 ohm, non-replaceable resistor in the sparkplug caps. They go bad from heat, vibration and age. New ones are available at most Japanese motorcycle stores, or through Z1 Enterprises, Inc. - Specializing in Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Parts, including New Old Stock & aftermarket parts. www.z1enterprises.com is their website.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

76 kz750 twin spark issues 20 Jul 2014 17:28 #640729

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

hcsxc5 wrote: So I just recently bought a 76 kz750, and I got it without spark. The previous owner cut off the original tail light and replaced it with a LED tail/brake light. He took off the turn signals and replaced the headlight with a smaller sealed beam unit. I've been reading that if the turn signal wires aren't grounded then it will lose spark. So I grounded all the turn signal wires to the frame and then the main fuse blows. What can I do to remedy this?

Thanks in advance,
Harrison

Unground all the hot wires you grounded and replace any blown fuses and cooked connectors. The turn signals don't have any connection to the ignition coils on a B twin.

The igniton circuit is really simple: the neg side of the coil primary (usually a blue wire) goes to the points. The hot side of the ign coil primary (usually a yel-red wire) should have 12V on it. The heavy coil wires go to the plugs.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

76 kz750 twin spark issues 20 Jul 2014 17:33 #640731

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Here's a schematic for the 79 750 twin.
1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments:

• Page: