Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

no power to starter button 82 GPZ750 08 Jul 2014 17:15 #639347

• woodman
  • woodman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
This is a first, owned this bike since new. I rebuilt the carbs & disconnected the - battery lead for safety. Now when I went to start it Ive got nothing. I hooked up the - battery lead, battery voltage is good {12.6} , horn blows , headlite works, kill switch is on, but nothing when I try to start it, I have power to the dash, just nothing at the button. Too hot out there & I got tired of looking, any ideas ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

no power to starter button 82 GPZ750 08 Jul 2014 19:06 #639362

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Open up the right handlebar "Switch Pod", and look for a failed solder joint, or corrosion in the start button. The run/stop switch provides power to the ignition coils, the start switch when working with the clutch interlock switch, provides the starter solenoid power to move, closing electrical contacts, taking power to the starter motor from the battery

Maybe your clutch interlock switch has dirty contacts, or has failed.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodman

no power to starter button 82 GPZ750 08 Jul 2014 19:23 #639364

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Are you pulling in the clutch when trying to use the starter? Sometimes folks forget to do that. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

no power to starter button 82 GPZ750 09 Jul 2014 06:38 #639413

• woodman
  • User
After 32 years Ive got that part down pat. Just remembered that I put the battery light wire to a switched source and Im betting it blew the fuse. Ill be out there soon and check that first. If that's the case then ill hook it direct to the battery

no power to starter button 82 GPZ750 09 Jul 2014 06:54 #639417

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
The clutch interlock switch connects to the main harness right below the left front tank mount - check that you didn't accidentally pinch or disconnect the switch wires when you reinstalled the tank (I'm guessing you removed the tank to get to the carbs, right? ) Might be a long shot, but it did happen to me once.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

no power to starter button 82 GPZ750 09 Jul 2014 17:26 #639488

• woodman
  • User
Could this possibly be inside the headlite bucket ? I don't see any connector where youre talking about & I took the tank off. The plug is plugged in by the clutch lever. Ill have to check thru my manual & see what I come up with. I do appreciate all the help though. Getting ready for a trip to Alaska's inside passage so it will have to wait until I get back

no power to starter button 82 GPZ750 22 Jul 2014 15:55 #640982

• woodman
  • User
MFolks I wish Id have listened to you first. After checking every thing electrical on the bike I took the starter button housing apart & found the solder joint broke on the yellow/red wire. I kept thinking something had to be unplugged because it all worked when I took the carbs off for a rebuild. I don't see any way to fix it so I guess ill check with Ebay or see if a new one is still available. I guess 32 years with no problems besides the carbs isn't too bad. I see new ones for $109 but some of them say backordered. Thanks again for the help guys
The following user(s) said Thank You: MFolks

• Page: