Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

won't stay running 24 May 2014 12:45 #633779

• oakley13
  • oakley13's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Okay, i finally figured out the problem. 1 the air box was not looking to good. Honestly I don't know if it was ever replaced in the last 30+ years. 2 the carbs needed a good cleaning.

I do want to get rid of the air box and put in 4 air filter cones. Any pros and cons on the cones then the air box?
Also if i get the cones, what other filters do i need to get. I think i need a crank case air filter but idk after that.
you guys have been so helpful. Thank you everybody
GARRETT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

won't stay running 24 May 2014 14:43 #633800

• pscycle
  • User
  • MMMMHMMMM
  • Thank you received: 1
Your carbs will need to be re jetted if you put pods on try to find someone with a bike setup like yours taking your pods and exhaust type into consideration and that should give you a good place to start before you finetune your adjutments. Good luck keep in mind pods can be tricky to tune. Check your stator. good luck
pscycle927

Last edit: by pscycle.

won't stay running 24 May 2014 15:10 #633806

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

oakley13 wrote: Okay, i finally figured out the problem. 1 the air box was not looking to good. Honestly I don't know if it was ever replaced in the last 30+ years. 2 the carbs needed a good cleaning.

I do want to get rid of the air box and put in 4 air filter cones. Any pros and cons on the cones then the air box?
Also if i get the cones, what other filters do i need to get. I think i need a crank case air filter but idk after that.
you guys have been so helpful. Thank you everybody

You would have no way of knowing it, so please don't be offended as this is not a criticism of you or your question, but this subject has been beat to death literally thousands of times on this forum. So many times that it could have its own website. Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about the little individual cone air filters (pods):

Put your cursor on FORUM and on the drop down menu click on SEARCH. In the KEYWORD box enter the word PODS. At the bottom of the page click on SEARCH. This will then cause all the postings for the past 12 months that are related to pod air filters (the little individual cones you mentioned) to show. There were 821 postings during this period.

Attachment 00006_2014-05-24.jpg not found

After you read those, put your cursor on FORUM and on the drop down menu click on SEARCH. In the KEYWORD box enter the word PODS. Under the heading SEARCH OPTIONS / FIND POSTS FROM A YEAR AGO change AND NEWER to AND OLDER. Then at the bottom of the page click on SEARCH. This will then cause all the postings older than the past 12 months that are related to pod air filters to show. There were 7,009 postings during this period.

Attachment 00007_2014-05-24-2.jpg not found

If after reviewing all 7,821 postings about pods you will fully understand the pros, cons, etc. Of course, if you have a new question about them please ask. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: oakley13

Last edit: by 650ed.

won't stay running 25 Oct 2014 14:16 #651693

• oakley13
  • oakley13's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everybody,
After months of working on the bike on my own i have finally got her up and running like a dream. Turned out it was the carburator. Baught bigger jets, put the pods on After some tuning she's runs great.

Thank you everybody for the help.
GARRETT

• Page: