Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wire in mosfet reg and simplify wiring w/diagram 07 Apr 2014 08:56 #628180

• Hollywoodmx
  • Hollywoodmx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Ok, I like using the stock wiring maps and edit them to do simplified harnesses.

Here I am adding the mosfet regulator/rectifier. The kz had a few extra wires coming out of the previous system, another ground and a brown wire which I'm guessing I will have to re-terminate somewhere else. I'm guessing the yellow/black can just be tapped into any ground.

I also deleted the starter lock out, and parking lights.

Please have a look at what I have doen and let me know if its good and what needs to be fixed and any other simplifications. Feel free to re edit my diagram and post it.

Thanks!

Attachment en-modifiedKawasakiKZ1000LTDWiring1977-1978.jpg not found

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wire in mosfet reg and simplify wiring w/diagram 07 Apr 2014 10:36 #628192

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That fuse between the battery and the reg/rec red wire is a bad idea. If the fuse breaks or blows, while cruising, the bike will keep running, but the regulator won't have the battery to filter pulses so the regulator won't be able to regulate. That can lead to melted headlight bulbs and coils etc., as the RMS voltage can get very high.

Kawasaki, for a short while, had the fuse/regulator configured that way, but eventually went back to directly connecting battery to regulator.

If you want a fuse for the regulator, put it in the red wire.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Wire in mosfet reg and simplify wiring w/diagram 07 Apr 2014 18:05 #628266

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

loudhvx wrote: That fuse between the battery and the reg/rec red wire is a bad idea. If the fuse breaks or blows, while cruising, the bike will keep running, but the regulator won't have the battery to filter pulses so the regulator won't be able to regulate. That can lead to melted headlight bulbs and coils etc., as the RMS voltage can get very high.

Kawasaki, for a short while, had the fuse/regulator configured that way, but eventually went back to directly connecting battery to regulator.

If you want a fuse for the regulator, put it in the red wire.

I modified the drawing slightly. Every single mosfet wireing loom setup I have seen on the Internet is that way? Can you verify what to do with the brown and if I cleaned up the old regulator and rectifier wires properly?

roadstercycle.com/Easy%20Mosfet%20Install.htm

Attachment V2en-modifiedKawasakiKZ1000LTDWiring1977-1978.jpg not found

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

Wire in mosfet reg and simplify wiring w/diagram 07 Apr 2014 22:02 #628280

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

Hollywoodmx wrote: I modified the drawing slightly. Every single mosfet wireing loom setup I have seen on the Internet is that way?

There is a big difference between the first way you had it, and the second way you have it. The first way isolates the battery while allowing the reg/rec to power the bike (that is bad). The second way isolates the reg/rec while allowing the battery to power the bike (that is ok). It will just be a matter of time before the battery goes dead and the bike stalls, but at least the ignition, lighting, and charging system won't all get fried.

The drawing in the online link is a little ambiguous since it does not show where the rest of the bike is connected, but one would assume it would connect at the battery terminal, which is ok, and is how you now show it on your second diagram.

With this layout, there is the potential for a slightly lower voltage output from the reg/rec to the battery since fuses will have a small voltage drop on them, but it's not a major problem.

Hollywoodmx wrote: Can you verify what to do with the brown and if I cleaned up the old regulator and rectifier wires properly?

The modification looks right from what I can see. The brown wire is not needed. The extra black/yellow is not needed. That extra white lead is not needed. However, they should all be taped up for safety.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Wire in mosfet reg and simplify wiring w/diagram 08 Apr 2014 09:11 #628325

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

loudhvx wrote:

Hollywoodmx wrote: I modified the drawing slightly. Every single mosfet wireing loom setup I have seen on the Internet is that way?

There is a big difference between the first way you had it, and the second way you have it. The first way isolates the battery while allowing the reg/rec to power the bike (that is bad). The second way isolates the reg/rec while allowing the battery to power the bike (that is ok). It will just be a matter of time before the battery goes dead and the bike stalls, but at least the ignition, lighting, and charging system won't all get fried.

The drawing in the online link is a little ambiguous since it does not show where the rest of the bike is connected, but one would assume it would connect at the battery terminal, which is ok, and is how you now show it on your second diagram.

With this layout, there is the potential for a slightly lower voltage output from the reg/rec to the battery since fuses will have a small voltage drop on them, but it's not a major problem.

Hollywoodmx wrote: Can you verify what to do with the brown and if I cleaned up the old regulator and rectifier wires properly?

The modification looks right from what I can see. The brown wire is not needed. The extra black/yellow is not needed. That extra white lead is not needed. However, they should all be taped up for safety.

Awesome thanks man. I will clean up the drawing to complete this thread, I'm running an antigravity battery I have read that its best to run the mosfet regulators vs the vintage ones as the lithium batteries don't like the inconstancies of voltage and spikes from vintage reg/rec.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Wire in mosfet reg and simplify wiring w/diagram 11 Apr 2014 08:33 #628668

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
Ok I cleaned that up, now Im not running the stock cluster or brake light, so I don't need the rear brake failure switch. Where is that in the harness so I can delete that too,

Attachment V3en-modifiedKawasakiKZ1000LTDWiring1977-1978.jpg not found

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

• Page: