Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

LOUDHVX Ignition module. 23 Mar 2010 07:57 #355603

• otakar
  • otakar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 29
Hay Loudhvx Did you say that your GM ignition module set up has a longer dwell than the stock KZ IC igniter or a shorter dwell. I know you covered that before but I forgot. Because if it has a longer dwell than it can safely be used with the mini coils from Dyna and from Nology. They actually are capable of much higher output voltage than the classic coils but must have some dwell. This would also mean that a "three module system would me perfect for the KZ1300.
74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LOUDHVX Ignition module. 23 Mar 2010 11:32 #355639

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The mini coils need to have a very well controlled dwell. It's not really about longer dwell or shorter dwell, it's about having the correct dwell.

Which mini coils are we talking about?

3-ohm mini coils are probably expected to just reach current saturation before the dwell time ends. That means you want a constant dwell time of about 5 or 6 msec. At higher RPMs, the KZ ignition should be fine, but the issue is overheating the coil at lower RPMs.

At idle (1200rpm), the stock KZ electronic ignition will put too much dwell to them (about 14 msec) and they might run hotter than they should, but they will probably still work.

My HEI ignition puts less dwell to them at idle, like 10 msec. At high RPM it gives the same dwell as the stock KZ ignition. This will let the coils run cooler at idle, but still a little hotter than they should. (And run the same at higher RPM.)

There is also a .5-ohm mini coil. It needs about 2 msec of dwell, but because it's resistance is so low, it will melt if allowed to go to current saturation. This coil cannot use the stock KZ ignition. My HEI ignition will limit the current which will prevent immediate destruction of the coil, but the dwell will still be so long at idle that the coil will run way too hot, and the HEI module will run super hot due to the current limiting function.

I have devised a few ways to run the .5 ohm coils with the HEI safely. But it's a little more complicated than my normal HEI circuit.

The beauty of the KZ reluctor is it's versatility for use with many different types of coils with simple changes in the ignitor circuit.

There are pages more i could write on this, but here are few notes I started putting together:
Coil notes
It's a Word doc. If the server asks for a password etc. just click thorugh it. there is no password.

And yes, the HEI is better suited for running the mini coils than the stock igniter, but still not perfect.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

LOUDHVX Ignition module. 23 Mar 2010 14:58 #355683

• otakar
  • otakar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 29
The coils I have are the Nology coils. I bought three of the 3 Ohm for my KZ1300. The thirteen uses a 3 Ohm system with 1.5 Ohm coils and a 1.5 Ohm Ballast resistor. I don't know why Kawasaki did it that way.
74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

LOUDHVX Ignition module. 23 Mar 2010 18:37 #355723

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
With 3-ohm Nology coils, you don't have to worry about activating the current limiter on the HEI which heats up the modules, so at least that won't be an issue.

The coils, however, will be getting too much dwell at lower RPMs. By too much, I mean more than their ideal dwell time. This simply means they will get warmer than they were designed to at lower RPMs. As long as there is some cushion in the specs, it could work fine.

Usually the mini coils come with warnings to use them with a dwell-control ignition, like the Dyna 2000 etc. (BTW, a "constant-dwell" ignition means constant dwell TIME, this means the dwell ANGLE increases with RPM.) Luckily, the designers of the KZ ignition already put in a way to roughly reduce the dwell ANGLE at lower RPMs. The HEI mod just reduces the dwell further than the stock igniter did. The dwell at idle will still be too long, but just not as long as it was with the stock ignition. at higher RPMs, both have about the same dwell (which may be a tad short for the 3-ohm coils, but should still work fine and there is no danger with dwell that is too short other than slightly shorter spark duration.)

I believe Kawasaki used the 1.5 ohm coils and ballasts because they couldn't get good 2.4 ohm coils to begin with.

• Page: