Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

please help me blink my blinkers 29 Aug 2008 06:07 #234572

• bison
  • bison's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, I about have my 79 SR650, back to roadworthiness, but I got blinker problems. In the tests below I am working on one side at a time.

1. When I have the key on, and the turn signal switch in the middle neutral position, my front turn signal is on, but not flashing.

2. When I flip my turn signal to one side, the front signal turns off, and the rear signal lights up but doesn't blink.

I made sure I had my yellow and black wire connected (i guess that's the ground)

Do I need new flasher units or did I cross some wires during assembly?

Just to note, I only have 3 good bulbs, so I can't do my blinker trouble shooting on both sides, (but I don't think it matters) I experience the exact same symptoms on both sides of the bike.

Any help would be appreciated, hand signals suck.

Thanks,
bison
1979 SR650 D2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

please help me blink my blinkers 29 Aug 2008 06:11 #234573

• 1978KZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
You have to have all 4 lights hooked up with good bulbs in order to blink. If that still doesn't do the trick most of them take a standard car flasher.
1978 KZ1000 A2, 2008 Honda Ruckus, 2004 Nissan Titan

please help me blink my blinkers 29 Aug 2008 10:38 #234624

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
The two and three pin flasher cans are available at any good auto parts store. Bring your old one along as a sample.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

please help me blink my blinkers 29 Aug 2008 22:32 #234687

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
bison wrote:

Hi, I about have my 79 SR650, back to roadworthiness, but I got blinker problems. In the tests below I am working on one side at a time.

1. When I have the key on, and the turn signal switch in the middle neutral position, my front turn signal is on, but not flashing.

Has to be wired wrong or the switch is flaky. In the middle position, there should not be power going to any turn signal bulb (front or rear).
1979 KZ-750 Twin

please help me blink my blinkers 29 Aug 2008 22:35 #234688

• bountyhunter
  • User
bison wrote:

2. When I flip my turn signal to one side, the front signal turns off, and the rear signal lights up but doesn't blink.

If power is going to only one bulb, it doesn't draw enough current to make the flasher blink. The front and rear TS bulbs should be hard wired together on each side (right OR left). Both front and rear bulbs should light in unison and flash together. If you have a front/rear bulb lighting at different times, they are wired wrong.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

please help me blink my blinkers 30 Aug 2008 07:08 #234700

• 1978KZ
  • User
I would have to recheck my manual but I don't think there is a ground wire. My 78 doesn't have one. The blinkers are grounded through the housing to the frame, and have to be bolted on to work. I think you have it wired wrong if you hooked up a ground.
1978 KZ1000 A2, 2008 Honda Ruckus, 2004 Nissan Titan

please help me blink my blinkers 31 Aug 2008 07:47 #234786

• shighley
  • User
bison; I believe the SR models use the handlebar mounted front signals. The bulbs in these are dual filiment. When the ignition is on, they act as running lights. When the turn indicator switch is actuated the other filiment along with the single filiment in the rear are powered. I also believe the lamps are 1157 in the front and 1156 in the rear. My son's SR had a problem and it turned out to be a ground issue on the fronts. I would unplug all leads on each signal and test with an external power source. You can easily run test leads from the bikes battery to do this. My quarter is riding on a bad connection instead of bad components. 30 years of corrosion. . . Let us know and ride safe, Steve
\'74 Z1-A, Bought new, worn out 3 times, being ridden now
\'83 XVZ12TK, was daily driver until frame broke
\'78 KZ650SR-D1A, Son's bike, I'm the wrench (He's young)!

please help me blink my blinkers 31 Aug 2008 14:38 #234823

• bountyhunter
  • User
1978KZ wrote:

I would have to recheck my manual but I don't think there is a ground wire. My 78 doesn't have one. The blinkers are grounded through the housing to the frame, and have to be bolted on to work. I think you have it wired wrong if you hooked up a ground.

The turn signals on my '79 KZ750 have a ground wire that attaches at the base where the nut goes. It's because they mount on a big rubber grommet type mount.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

please help me blink my blinkers 31 Aug 2008 15:06 #234828

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Inside the turn signal stem is a mini bullet connector.You may have to dis-mount the turn signal and check the wiring for corrosion there.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

please help me blink my blinkers 01 Sep 2008 07:42 #234946

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I didn't read the entire thread carefully but if I were troubleshooting this, first thing I would do is figure out if there was a two pole aka two filament bulb holder. Take out the front bulb and look down at the bottom of the bulb holder and look at the base of the bulb. Are there two round spots or one? If there are two, you have front running lights. If you have one, you have mis-wired. It is fairly normal for some bikes to have front running lights. There will be a black/yellow ground which will either connect to the frame or connect to the wiring harness ground circuit which eventually connects to ground. Turn signal wires are light gray and light green. Sometimes gray is used for one side and green the other but many times, gray is used for all of them. If you have running lights, my memory tells me that these wires will be thinner and be gray and green as well. First thing to do is to find four new bulbs. If your bulbs are Stanley, take one to the autoparts store and see what they have. Make sure that the little pegs on the side are postioned on the sides the same and the number of filaments match. Also buy a heavy duty flasher relay and replace your current OLD relay. The heavy duty relay will handle variations in wattage and allow newer bulbs to blink properly. The old relay will only work well with old Stanley standard bulbs and you can't find them. Once you plug the bulbs in and the new relay, test the signals and report back with the results. Also, inside your turn signals may be internal grounds through the mounting bolt. If you see any corrosion around internal bolts, clean it up good and coat with dielectric grease. On Kaw turn signals like an LTD where they hang off the handle bars, they tend to corrode around the ground as they ground through the mount bolt.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

please help me blink my blinkers 04 Sep 2008 06:34 #235430

• bison
  • User
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I got new front bulbs (1157) and yes they have two filaments. I also made sure my bulbs in the back (1156), which are 1 filament, are in good shape and no corrosion. My front lights have a blue and a grey wire on each side, along with a black/yellow ground wire to each side.

I also picked up some new flashers at the auto parts store.

Here's my situation now:

1. When I turn on the key, the front turn signals are on solid. Which apparently is normal, considering the two lead wire, two filament set up.

2. Then when I turn on the turn signal, they flash very slowly, like every 2.5 seconds, which seemed extremely slow to me, almost doesn't qualify as a blink. And they don't blink in unison, when the fronts are on, the backs are off.

3. If I unhook the front bulbs, and turn on the signal my back signals flash at the normal quick pace of about .75 seconds.

So, what do you guys think about the painfully slow flashing, and the non-synchronous blinking between the front and rear?

Just to note, I don't have the front signals in their holders, I just have the wires taped to the leads on the bulbs, and the ground wire taped to my handlebars.

Thanks again guys. I plan on taking a trip through the smoky mointains in the end of september, so I want to be as safe as possible.
1979 SR650 D2

please help me blink my blinkers 05 Sep 2008 10:43 #235648

• bison
  • User
Do you think it's possible I have a wrong sized relay? Do they make different sizes.
1979 SR650 D2

• Page: